Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got off the phone with Fox yesterday, trying to order a DHX 5.0 Coil for a frame we have here (All black 5-Spot). I was told that they have no 7.5 x 2.0 shocks, and will not be making them any longer. The DHX-Air, available retail from Fox for dealers in early July, will take its place.

Am I the only 220 pounder (or more), who's worried about the trend to Air? I guess I'll reserve judgment until I beat on a DHX-Air, but I've NEVER had good luck with Air shocks, EVER, even from Fox. I think thats too bad, and so it looks like the X-5 with a DHX-5.0 might be another option.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
esquire said:
Got off the phone with Fox yesterday, trying to order a DHX 5.0 Coil for a frame we have here (All black 5-Spot). I was told that they have no 7.5 x 2.0 shocks, and will not be making them any longer. The DHX-Air, available retail from Fox for dealers in early July, will take its place.

Am I the only 220 pounder (or more), who's worried about the trend to Air? I guess I'll reserve judgment until I beat on a DHX-Air, but I've NEVER had good luck with Air shocks, EVER, even from Fox. I think thats too bad, and so it looks like the X-5 with a DHX-5.0 might be another option.
Doesn't that mean no more DHX coil for the RFX/Pack too? It uses a 7.5x2.0 shock also, correct? Guess that makes my pack even more rare!!

I would like to try the DHX Air, however.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Fox must be pretty confident in the DHX-air to drop the coil version. They must believe that it can take the abuse of dh riding, since many dh and freeride bikes are spec'd with dhx coils. Too bad they couldn't carry the coil line for even ONE YEAR! Jeez. I just hope they don't do something stupid like drop production of the coil, then have problems with getting production up on the air version, and have no shocks for anyone for months. I had anticipated that the dhx air would come out like the 36 fork........LATE!

So Squeak.....what's going on?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
From Esquire's comments it sounds like they are dropping the 7.5x2.0 size from the coil line-up but not necessarily dropping the entire DHX Coil line. Maybe DT can change the RFX/Pack to use a 7.785x2.25 shock??

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Renegade said:
Squeak, what's pushing [pun intended] you in this direction?
The DHX is sweet. Real sweet. But I'm not into all the adjustments. I'm more of a set it & forget it guy. Plus, with the DHX it seems like everytime I turn one dial, the other settings are affected. The boys at PUSH said this makes sense based on the inner workings of the shock and they'll customize the Vanilla for me so that it's optimized for me & the bike.
If it's any indication, both guys at PUSH run Vanilla RCs over the DHX.
Most importantly, I'll save 1/3 of a pound :rolleyes:

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Renegade said:
So Squeak.....what's going on?
I dunno and I'm surprised too that they're dropping that size DHX coil.
The weight savings on the smaller size DHX air v. Coil is not all that impressive and it's not enough to get me to change. The RP3 is a different story but, again, it's not recommended by some for good reason for the Pack.

Renny, you missed an amazing ride last night at HMP. You should hoof it up here one of these days. We had a great crew.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Oh, sure Sean, go ahead and ruin the vicious rumor I wanted so dearly to start and see how far I could take it and warp it and.....
would someone besides SSINGA and myself chime in here with some fact or fiction? Esquire, is it the whole product line or just the 7.5x2.0?

Squeak, I just couldn't justify the drive time on a thursday night, but I'll make it up there sometime. I ended up riding hall ranch, it was in fairly good condition.
Edit; you answered above.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Better rumor to start - Fox has partnered with Ellsworth and has discontinued their DHX coil in 7.5x2.0 sizes so DT cannot spec his bikes with it.

There, How's that for a rumor Renny?

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
The DHX is sweet. Real sweet. But I'm not into all the adjustments. I'm more of a set it & forget it guy. Plus, with the DHX it seems like everytime I turn one dial, the other settings are affected. The boys at PUSH said this makes sense based on the inner workings of the shock and they'll customize the Vanilla for me so that it's optimized for me & the bike.
Most importantly, I'll save 1/3 of a pound :rolleyes:
Well, I've been quite happy with my pushed vanilla rc as well. I too like set it and forget it. I had enough of that crap when I had a coil 5th element on my ASX. I am somewhat curious about the new DHX-air, I wouldn't mind dropping some weight [oh no, I'm becoming a weight weenie!], but if it means fidgeting with a bazillion settings and never being happy with them, I guess I'll just get more fit instead so that I can pedal my big pig around. My 8.5 by 2.5 coil shock is quite a bit heavier than the 7.5 by 2.0 stock shock. BTW, I've had my new Z1 FR1 on the bike for allmost a week now. It's amazing what dropping 1.5 pounds off the front end of your bike will do for your climbing.

SSINGA, it's worse than you think. Not only is Tony E scheming with fox, but he's been directly connected to al-qaeda as well. The plan is to bring down america by flooding the american market with attractive yet TIME BOMB like boutique bikes that fail in a catastrophic way, injuring the american rider so that they cannot physically defend themselves againts the oncoming jihad!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
7.5 x 2.0

The 7.5 x 2.0 was the only one they mentioned. They are out of stock, and don't plan on making more. He said the DHX Air would be better for the 5-Spot anyway. I'm not convinced, but, I'm willing to try different things, as long as they don't involve carrots and midgets..... (If anyone gets that reference, I'll be amazed)

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
SSINGA said:
Doesn't that mean no more DHX coil for the RFX/Pack too? It uses a 7.5x2.0 shock also, correct? Guess that makes my pack even more rare!!

I would like to try the DHX Air, however.
Already? Y'know what? I haven't had this shock long enough to dump it for something else. By the time I do Marzocchi's user servicable, no platform required, coil will be out...and it'll be RED too! :D

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
That's the same shock I am running- but for a lot less than I spent on mine! Great shock, awesome price. I wouldn't run it on a spot though, I'd be worried about the seat tube...somebody with a 'pack or RFX should pick it up fast.

Renegade said:
speaking of shocks, have any of you guys seen this add in the classifieds; this guy is selling a pushed vanilla rc, 7.5 by 2.25 for $175.00. He says he had it pushed for his 5 spot.
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=87186&query=retrieval

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
..........funny thing, when I spoke at length with Darren re: the DHX prior to my purchase of the shock, he went on & on ranting/ raving about how it is THE BEST thing on the market & how it has the most potential/ creates the BEST platform for mods to date. Everytime I see someone reference him it seems like there is another point of view introduced...??? I'm sure he's a great guy & all (obviously knows his stuff) ....however, I can't help that my confidence in his recommendations has been shattered.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I don't really want to speak for him, but I've had this conversation with him as well.

He loves the DHX and still thinks it's killer.

But he's a hard-core weight weenie so that 1/3 pound means something to him and he feels that he can get the Vanilla RC to replicate the DHX without all the fussy knobs.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Late breaking news!!

SSINGA said:
There, How's that for a rumor Renny?
Fox has just come out with a miracle material that acts as a spring and damper. There are several spring rates from which to choose, and the only adjustment is preload. The ultimate set it and forget it!

Sure these "bumpers" may be a bit temperature sensitive, but during the winter as your fitness declines, you'll feel more "efficient" as the shock stiffens.

The new shock is rumored to be called the Fox Quadra. :D

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Renegade said:
SSINGA, it's worse than you think. Not only is Tony E scheming with fox, but he's been directly connected to al-qaeda as well.
And this proves the link between Saddam and Al Quaeda, since we all know the Iraqi Information Minister is also on Ellworth's payroll. Talk about an axis of evil! Any of you photochoppers care to close the case with an indisputable pic?

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
esquire said:
The 7.5 x 2.0 was the only one they mentioned. They are out of stock, and don't plan on making more. He said the DHX Air would be better for the 5-Spot anyway. I'm not convinced, but, I'm willing to try different things, as long as they don't involve carrots and midgets..... (If anyone gets that reference, I'll be amazed)
Okay esquire, I'm stumped; what is this carrots and midgets reference?
I googled it, and didn't get much, except and interesting link titled " Jep the jeb-where transvestites meet pedophile carrots". It links you to a slightly x-rated cartoon, so I won't post a link. Google it yourselves!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.