Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
AUGER-N
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really what is going on in this industry? Bike prices are high. So is every thing else. I race MX bikes for fun. It is cheaper than bicycling. Races are like $40-$100 bucks! Dirt bike races are $15-$50! There is more work to put them on! Now to my point. I am looking at getting a new bike finally this year. I Have been looking at the Fisher RIG and The Bianchi SOK. both are nice bikes. I just do not think the spec is very good for the money. What gives? Why would I want to spend $1400 on a 27 pound bike? I just dont get it. Why cant we get a 24 lb SS with a suspension fork ? laserdisc wheels on the $1400 sok? They come on the Raliegh XXIV fo 5 bones! I would rather pay Up front and get a better bike. Heck from what I see I can get a geared bike that ways the same or less for the same money. Has SS reached a point where we have to pay a premium to leave the gears off? I want a kick but fun light SS under 24 lbs for under $1500. I really dont want to build a bike as there is no way I can do it that cheap. What gives? I can get a new dirt bike for $6000! I dont want so spend that on a bike that is used for fun, training and an ocasional race. Am I just expexting to much or is the state of this industry just whored out and sad?

·
Registered
569 Posts
The rig is very nicely equipped for under $1400. Just the Fox fork retails for half of that. The tires are decent, the wheels are OK.

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Superbike373 said:
.I really dont want to build a bike as there is no way I can do it that cheap. What gives?
You can do it that cheap if you arent in a hurryto build it and wait for the components to come on sale as they do quite often.\It does require a lot of time in front of a computer though and patience.
Last Nov(08) I got White Industries ENO eccentric hub and freewheel and disc brake adapter brand new for 235 CAD shipped to my door.
THAT is cheap... and yes I was at the right place at the right time obviously.
If you're in a hurry to get one. then you will always have some component on it that isn't high end UNLESS you build the bikt up or want to pay out the $$$ for it already built.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Yeah, let the upgrade fiends spend the dough and buy quality used. Your money items are the frame and fork. So get the frame used cheap, get a fox used for $300, send it to push and get it pimped.

Most of the rest of the components aren't so bad, especially if you're watching specials, craigslist, etc....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Superbike373 said:
Has SS reached a point where we have to pay a premium to leave the gears off?
Actually, quite the contrary. Unless of course you have to have a GF or a Bianchi. Get a 29lb Monocog for $275 brand new like I did and then ride it and lose that extra 2 lbs. There are many deals to be had. You just have to keep your eyes open.

There. Disaster averted.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
I don't think that weight=good bike. I second the idea that Craigslist and ebay can be used to build a great bike exactly how you want it for a third of the price of a similar bike new. Chin up, you'll land something sweet.

·
AUGER-N
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 26" MonoCog now. It is ok. I want a decent bike that is not all house brand stuff. I thought about building a bike. It is $500-$1000 bones for a really sweet frame. I guess if I build a bike. I could get it under $2000. Shoot a nice set of wheeels is like $500 plus any more. I know I sound like I am whining, I guess I am. I just think to many hands are in the cookie jar (in the bike industry). I am going to have $1200-$1600 to drop here in the next couple weeks. I will be honest, I really like the Bianchi. I can get the Rig 200 cheaper though right off the floor (around here). No used rigs anywhere around here either. My problem is i want a sweet bike and want it relatively cheap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Superbike373 said:
My problem is i want a sweet bike and want it relatively cheap.
I have a rigid MC 29er now. Before that I had a Hardrock. I have yet to upgrade anything on either bike and have no problems at all keeping up with (when not simply passing) anyone I ride with. Not saying that I am that good, it's all relative of course. Your performance on your bike has so little to do with the actual bike (I am talking about bikes that are at least on par with the above mentioned) that spending a ton of money is a fools game.

As long as you can stomach not having what others consider to be a 'sweet' bike, then you will have a sweet bike. I love my Monocog and feel that even rigid, it is more bike than I will ever need. I would like to try a fork at some point, but I am in no hurry to run out and spend a grip to do so.

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
i've been in manufacturing my whole life, and i love how people bit#h about prices when they have NO IDEA what goes into making the products.

And buy used. i built my bianchi puss for around 1k and it's 18lbs with a mechanical disk brakes and a suspension fork.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Superbike373 said:
My problem is i want a sweet bike and want it relatively cheap.
I'm pretty sure that's what we all want but good luck with that one... suck it up and move on.

ISuckAtRiding said:
I built my bianchi puss for around 1k and it's 18lbs with a mechanical disk brakes and a suspension fork.
You got any pics of this bike? Sounds mint.

·
2,419 Posts
chumbox said:
I'm pretty sure that's what we all want but good luck with that one... suck it up and move on.

You got any pics of this bike? Sounds mint.
sure do! thanks!

build list:
bianchi puss frame
manitou r7 100mm fork
avid bb7 brakes
DT Swiss xr1540 wheels
ti rear sprocket
tubless with non tubless kenda small block 8's
xtr crank (not pictured)
tompson elite seat post
wtb rocket v stealth saddle
cheap stem and aluminum truvativ riser bars

I made custom lightweight spacers and chain tensioners which kinda helped in the weight department.
overall, fairly cheap bike. biggest money is in the wheels, and money well spent. I got most stuff used/super discounted. wheels i got directly from dt swiss through their upgrade program.
I LOVE the bike. it handles great and is extremely reliable.

Now that i did the math, i think i got about 1100 or 1200 into it since i baught the saddle and seatpost brand new.

·
AUGER-N
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Do you know how much markup is on these things? Production cost is NOT the problem, mark up is. When there is a pimp geared bike for $1700 and the same brand in SS is $1400, but the brakes are cheaper, wheels etc. That is my point. Give me a SS with same quality parts and charge $1500!!! I really missed my point in the post. Sorry, my fault. I thought maybe someone would point out some good deals. The RIG and the SOK seem to be the best deal in complete bikes. What else is out there? I gues I have some more homework to do.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Why don't you buy a geared biked then and convert it to SS if the mark up bothers you that much?

Otherwise get a GT Peace 9r and live a happy life.

·
2,419 Posts
how many single speeds do you think they sell compared to geared bikes? usually the profit margin is a bit higher on products that are produced/sold in lower volume. Otherwise it isnt worth offering them. Also, there is a good amount of investment involved in tooling up for production, and that is usually amortized through the assumption that they will sell x amount of bikes in a given time. If they know they wont sell too many bikes, the price will have to be higher. They're getting the same returns on investment, if they're lucky. Single speed wheel sets are no exception to this rule.They get x amount of discount for buying x amount of wheel sets. If they produce less bikes, they pay more for wheels. They may put cheaper brakes on to try and keep the price fairly low.
As for retail markup, i'd like to see that, because when i was sponsored and getting bikes at cost, they werent making much on them at least compared to other bikes.
Trust me, there are enough single speed manufacturers out there to force them to put their best foot forward as far as pricing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Superbike373 - I hear ya! I am in a similar boat...

I recently went into a newly opened LBS to check out single speeds. The owner was on crack or something, but he just comes out and says, " you wouldn't believe how much my mark up on these things..." I am not sure what his sales angle was, but that was the info.

$1000 for an aluminum ss. no shock. mechanical disc brakes... pretty average bike...

I have to imagine that on a 'regular' bike the components/shock (all the brand name parts fox, avid, shimano, etc...) aren't that cheap even to the LBS. So on a single speed the cost to the LBS is lower, yet the price to the customer isn't. Nice profit at the 29er SS trendy chasers expense...

By the way I was there to check out the Kona Shonky, cause I am trying all different angles to find a trail able single speed at a deal. This led to the Transition TransAM dream that I am slowly losing cause I can't justify that nice of a bike for my skill set. I have a Raleigh XXIX because it was the price I thought it should be ($450 used).

I am now thinking of a cheaper frame (santa cruz chameleon or something) and building it up myself. If you want to recoup some of the expense for those components - shop for deals on the parts and build it yourself. I ride a beater girls diamond back, stuck in one gear, with rim brakes while I shop for a deal...

my advice is worth what you paid for it...

·
2,419 Posts
7daysaweek said:
I have a hard time believing the weight on that bianchi...
one of the pluses of owning a machine shop is being able to take the time to lighten things where it generally isnt economically feasable for the manufacturers, and to be able to make your own parts.
But even without that, the bike was still under 20lbs.
3lb frame
2.9lb fork
3.395lb wheels
2.5lbs for tires and tubless
1.5lbs for the xtr crank
1.6lbs for both brakes (not including cables and levers)
.5lbs for the seat
.6lbs for the seatpost
that's the bulk of it, and still leaves 2.5bs for odds and ends.

water bottle cages werent on when i weighed it, but that shouldnt add too much.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
ISuckAtRiding said:
one of the pluses of owning a machine shop is being able to take the time to lighten things where it generally isnt economically feasable for the manufacturers, and to be able to make your own parts.
But even without that, the bike was still under 20lbs.
3lb frame
2.9lb fork
3.395lb wheels
2.5lbs for tires and tubless
1.5lbs for the xtr crank
1.6lbs for both brakes (not including cables and levers)
.5lbs for the seat
.6lbs for the seatpost
that's the bulk of it, and still leaves 2.5bs for odds and ends.

water bottle cages werent on when i weighed it, but that shouldnt add too much.
Hmm... interesting... that's cool. Well congratulations... that's an impressive weight.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts