1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Might want to read the Lyrik Ultimate thread if you are looking to purchase an "ultimate" version. Seems that the 2.1 really isn't an upgrade as presented by RS, more it is just a change to a few internal items, different types of seals, and a slight rebound shim stack tune in the wrong direction.

I would speculate that since the SID is a purely XC oriented fork, while the Pike/Lyrik/Boxxer are longer travel trail/AM/Enduro/DH forks, that RS is still working on the tune for the damper.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might want to read the Lyrik Ultimate thread if you are looking to purchase an "ultimate" version. Seems that the 2.1 really isn't an upgrade as presented by RS, more it is just a change to a few internal items, different types of seals, and a slight rebound shim stack tune in the wrong direction.

I would speculate that since the SID is a purely XC oriented fork, while the Pike/Lyrik/Boxxer are longer travel trail/AM/Enduro/DH forks, that RS is still working on the tune for the damper.
I am aware that the changes between the Charger 2 and the 2.1 are minor. Do you think that RS would release an updated damper tune for the SID Ultimate before the MY2021 SID?

Is this thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rs-lyrik-ultimate-1099480.html the thread you were referencing? I just read most of it. I didn't get that there was a clear consensus on the shim stack being tuned in the wrong direction. While some of the contributors are obviously very experienced in what they are talking about, it seems like a developing conversation that hasn't reached a consensus.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I am aware that the changes between the Charger 2 and the 2.1 are minor. Do you think that RS would release an updated damper tune for the SID Ultimate before the MY2021 SID?

Is this thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rs-lyrik-ultimate-1099480.html the thread you were referencing? I just read most of it. I didn't get that there was a clear consensus on the shim stack being tuned in the wrong direction. While some of the contributors are obviously very experienced in what they are talking about, it seems like a developing conversation that hasn't reached a consensus.
Yeah that was the one that I was referring too. The takeaway I got from it was that the shim stack was going from somewhat digressive (which is part of the spikey feeling and harshness) to a more digressive tune. In my mind this would cause a large "harshness" curve to the rebound tune for the fork. I could be wrong, as you said there are much more experienced people in that thread (and others). Ultimately, while the RC2 damper is a decent damper there are quite a few drawbacks for it in the stock form. My estimation would be that most of the "lines" of fork models have dampers that are tuned, in general, for their given category/genre of field (e.g. SID for XC, Revy for XC/Trail, Pike for Trail, Yari/Lyrik for Trail/Enduro) and thus while there may be some bleed over in-between categories/genres they really are going to be tuned for one side or the other. This was part of the reason that many riders, that are more adventurous than myself, like Manitou ABS+ forks. The shim stack tune comes out very oriented towards its given category/genre BUT can easily be tuned more for one genre to the next with some disassembly and trial and error. The Charger dampers don't do this quite as easily.

As said with many threads, the main premise behind the creation of a "stock" damper is that it has to cover a large variety of riders. Everyone from the fly weight 130-140# rider to the clyde like 200#+ guys. There is so much variance in this that it will not be able to do everything right (if this was true then pro riders would not have to have team mechanics have diaries of each rider and what their preferences were for certain types of courses).

So this comes to the basic question... WHY do you feel you want/need the ULTIMATE version? RS will charge a premium for that name alone when really it will do nothing more than the current RC2 charger. Would you feel a difference from the current RC2 damper in your Pike (if you have one) to the new ULTIMAT Pike with the RC2.1? Maybe, but then the question is how much of that is a placebo effect?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this comes to the basic question... WHY do you feel you want/need the ULTIMATE version? RS will charge a premium for that name alone when really it will do nothing more than the current RC2 charger. Would you feel a difference from the current RC2 damper in your Pike (if you have one) to the new ULTIMAT Pike with the RC2.1? Maybe, but then the question is how much of that is a placebo effect?
I'm just trying to figure out why the SID Ultimate doesn't have the 2.1 and if it will get updated with one before the MY2021.

As far as I can tell, the MY2020 SID Ultimate is the modern equivalent of the MY2019 SID RLC. I'm not seeing any discounts on the MY2019 SID RLC 29" 100mm 51mm offset with crownlock. No real interest in buying a MY2019 fork that's $779 on Jenson while the MY2020 equivalent is $849 on World Wide Cyclery and a few other places. If I want to sell the fork, the MY2020 will probably be worth more before the end of the year. Would you buy last year's model for nearly the same cost as the current model?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.