Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently cannot afford a complete 2011 Slayer and wasn't completely crazy about the build. So, I contacted my Rocky Mountain dealer to get a frame. They said no problem and I started to list and try to sell a couple of bikes and parts and to save my money to build up the bike. Best of both worlds, I get a frame, spend less money than I would buying a complete bike and have time to save up my coins and build the bike exactly they way I want.

I noticed that my credit card had not yet been charged and called my dealer to see what was up. The dealer was trying to track down a frame and called me yesterday to say they could not find one. Only one frame in a 19" was going to be shipped to the US! I asked to place a standing order because I want the frame and was told maybe August. It is frustrating because as far as I know they have not even started the next production run. I guess with the frames being built overseas it is not as easy as just adding a frame to the order.

I was not planning on having the bike built up for a couple of months but am reluctant to start purchasing parts that could just sit around for quite some time. If I knew I was getting a frame in August that would be different but I can't even get any assurance about delivery or availability.

I have tried buying complete bikes that were not built the way I like before and it just ends up being a bummer. Either you ride the parts you don't like and slowly upgrade (not as much fun!) or strip the parts when they are still new, lose money trying to sell them on ebay while you don't have a bike to ride and then slowly buy the parts you want. All of that assumes you can afford to buy the bike up front anyway. There are only a few completes available in my size and by the time I sell my other stuff they could be gone. Then I get no old bikes and no new bikes!

My point? I don't think I have one. I am just bummed out. If anyone (Rocky Mountain, can you hear me!??) has a line on a 19" 2011 Slayer frame, I am an able and ready buyer!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
cornfish said:
Only one frame in a 19" was going to be shipped to the US!
Glad to hear you got your rig! Not sure where communication was skewed, but we definitely shipped more than one into the US. That said, they sold insanely fast and stock in Canada is almost gone too.

post pics when you get it built!

·
Read Only
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
peteypete said:
Glad to hear you got your rig! Not sure where communication was skewed, but we definitely shipped more than one into the US. That said, they sold insanely fast and stock in Canada is almost gone too.

post pics when you get it built!
I am super stoked! The frame looks amazing in person and I am already planning rides and road trips for my Slayer.

Peteypete, what do you think about building the bike with a Float instead of a TALAS? I like to climb and have used the TALAS on my SXC Slayer in places like Slickrock trail in Moab and on steep uphill switchbacks, etc. But I really rode the bike with the fork at full travel most of the time. Do you think with the steeper seat tube angle and Smooth Link I can get away without the adjustable travel fork?

I will DEFINITELY post pics when I get the bike built up!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I personally don't believe in TALAS. I had one on my Slayer, but never used the travel adjust feature and switched to a Float. To me it feels weird to change your front travel/head angle on any kind of bike. I had a Talas on my Element MSL too, but it felt weird at anything longer or shorter than 120mm on both climbs and descents.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree completely that lowering the front end on a bike feels weird. I have a 29er with a 120mm travel adjustable fork and I have not once lowered the front end. With the SXC, even though the bike felt weird with the front end lowered it definitely was the difference between making or not making some sections of trail.

Right now now my next purchase towards my Slayer is a set of SIXC cranks since Race Face is no more:???: After that it is the fork so I have some time. Starting to think Float is the way to go.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 19" SXC Slayer had a 70mm stem and it seemed fine. It looks like the 2011 Slayer's in 19" have a 55mm stem? Can anyone confirm or deny that? I was planning to run a 70mm stem again. I am 6'1" with long arms and legs. Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
2011 Size 19 Slayer 30 and 50 are 75mm and Slayer 70 is 70mm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts