Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
MBAA race series..

Michael,

Gen stays busy six months of the year just trying to put together venues for 5 races. It's also very hard to get enough participation for more than 5 races to cover the annual costs of all the races, total.

The other problem is getting enough help at each venue to make it work. Most of the people are volunteers who will work only one race and that's it.

Not to mention that IRS won't approve 501 (C) 3 status, so MBAA takes an unnecessary tax hit, as well.

Hope that helps with a bit of understanding.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
i agree that she has a tough job, i think it is a cyclic dilema were in. i know the problem i have is too few races at too few venues, if there were more venues im sure the participation would increase. but the problem is that people wont volunteer at races unless there is a rewaer for doing so. i know if i had the choice between doing trail maint and volunteering at a race i would choose the volunteering. but i do agree with you that she has a tough job and there isnt much thanks for her. i believe she has done an awesome job for the races i have done, and i could swear i saw more people in this series than last just a frustrated racer wanting more races in our overly abundant supply of good weather.

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Thanks for the shout out about the NMORS.

The way we do it is each event has its own promoter/presenter (a club, a bike shop, a group of motivated folks). The promoters/presenters agree to follow NORBA rules, track and report results based on series categories (and give out a reasonable dose of prizes and fun).

Most of the events have been running for several years now. (Farmington is the longest running annual MTB race in the world.) Others, like Santa Fe and Cedro (Albuquerque), are recent start ups that are establishing their own traditions. At this point we have more good events and venues than we have room for in the series. We take a standard core of events and rotate some of the newer offerings to come up with a series of 10-12 events. We get about 150-200 racers for each series event.

We are fortunate to have some really great and diverse trails and towns across the state to showcase as race venues. We are also fortunate to have promoters/presenters motivated to put on races using those trails.

The series coordinator :yesnod: (with some help) databases the individual event results to put together series results by category/age/gender. The promoters each pay a series participation of $125 or so, which covers the cost of jerseys for category winners and other incidentals.

Los Alamos is an EPIC trail at altitude that will challenge and inspire any hardcore punishment junkie. Silver City is a sweet, epic dose of mountain goodness and camping fun. Cedro is a hootin', challenging route through some of the sweetest flowing singletrack and wildflowers in the land of enchantment. Las Cruces is an alternating fast-flowy / techy ride through some desert rock and pointy plants.

C'mon Ovah!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.