Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Nixon and a Minute 3:00 (both with IT), and I'm having trouble getting them to perform well. They absorb single hits really well, but when I hit rocky or rooty sections, they both feel really rough. Instead of floating over like a well setup Fox, they jump around and feel skittish. Also, they don't respond to larger, low-frequency bumps. I run 30-35psi in the IFP, and main air pressure to give me around 20% sag.

Is there a long break-in/bed-in time with these forks? I've only gotten a few rides on each.

Ole.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I've also got a Nixon Platinum. The Manual says it requires 20 hours to break-in. That is of course an arbitrary figure. 20 hours on smooth roads is not going to work the fork very much. I've had mine on the bike for about two months now but have not ridden very much due to crappy weather. It is only now starting to loosen up. I had an 04 Minute 3 on my bike before and also noticed it took some time to break-in.

20% is also on the low side of the recomended sag and would make it harsher. I run mine at 25 to 30%. If it tends to bottom out I turn in the SPV volume a bit to ramp up the end of the travel.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ronnie said:
I've also got a Nixon Platinum. The Manual says it requires 20 hours to break-in. That is of course an arbitrary figure. 20 hours on smooth roads is not going to work the fork very much. I've had mine on the bike for about two months now but have not ridden very much due to crappy weather. It is only now starting to loosen up. I had an 04 Minute 3 on my bike before and also noticed it took some time to break-in.

20% is also on the low side of the recomended sag and would make it harsher. I run mine at 25 to 30%. If it tends to bottom out I turn in the SPV volume a bit to ramp up the end of the travel.

Ronnie.
Ronnie,
How have you liked your Nixon,
is it supple in all travel settings?
is it as easy as advertised to change travel settings?
does the fork change its travel setting on its own, be it either up or down?
does ti seem sturdy?
Thanks
Pedro

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Hi Pedro,

I'm very happy with my Nixon. It is the second one that I've had. The one I originally received did have a problem. It would not hold its setting when lowered. I called Manitou and spoke to the sales director. The service I got was very good. He personally checked out the replacement before sending it with UPS. The replacement has been faultless. I think that they had a production problem for a while.

It can be supple or not. It is a SPV fork and dependig on the SPV pressure it looses some small bump absorbtion. I run it quite low at 50 to 60 psi. and I can stand up and pedal with very little motion. If you don't like SPV, I think the Nixon Super is the same fork except with TPC damping.

The IT works very well. I've put the control on the left side of my bar as I tend to use the rear changer more than the front but you can fit it to either side. Push the control and as long as there is weight on the fork it compresses. You can release it anywhere between a minimum of 40mm travel to full travel of 140mm. I've measured it. It bottoms out against the rubber bottom out bumpers. There is no change in the spring rate at any travel setting. Extending is not quite as easy, unless you'r good at doing wheelies. :eek: Unfortunately I'm not but I'm practicing. You need to hold it up a second or two while holding the control and it extends.

I have had no problems with mine changing the travel setting on its own. I set it where it feels good and thats where it stays.

If you are asking is the IT control sturdy, yes it is well made. The actuator is solid brass and won't break easily and I'm sure they are quite cheap to replace. The cable housing is ordinary brake cable.

Hope this helps,

Ronnie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.