Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading some posts way back about a couple of spot riders who had just gotten some nixon forks. So, how are they. Do you like them? Any problems?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not a happy Nixon user

Following is a copy of my entry to the product reviews section. I would receommend that you have a full read of the section as I feel there is a general theme comming through on this product.

I am personally just about to buy an AM1 to replace the Nixon.

""This fork came OEM on a Giant VT1. From the first day the fork did not work correctly and almost was intent on trying to kill me. The fork continually "leaked" down so that 5 minutes into a trail it was down to almost nil travel and was not rebounding at all. Not a great situation when you are assuming you have 145mm of travel under you.

Returned via LBS and Manitou informed they could not fix the fault of leaking quad seals so they sent me a brand new non OEM fork. Happily, this fork worked well for a good 2 - 3 weeks before the rot started to set in with similar problems to the original fork.

Added to the leaking travel is the fact that I can only acheive 120mm of travel at the max, and this is with air pressure right at bottom of recommended settings. Using the IT adjuster and jumping on the front forks will result in total travel of 127 mm max. Manitou tell me it is unrealistic to expect travel at a full 145mm due to negative spring pressure?????. What the........

I don't recall seeing negative spring pressure mentioned in the sales catalogue, funny that.

Yes the factory recall fix has been applied, technically reducing the travel to 137 mm.

So in summary, if your looking to purchase a fork that automatically adjusts travel with no rider input, gives you 4' of travel when you have paid for 5.75, and feel you would enjoy spending time arguing with Manitou, I strongly recommend that you do you self a favour and rush down to your LBS to grab one.""

·
Full Monty Bike Bore
483 Posts
Are all the bad reports restricted to the first few batches ?

I hope so 'cos mine (a Super) is about to wing it's way over the pond for a serious bastin'.

Perhaps, peeps could id which model they weren't happy with ? From previous threads it seems that the all singing, all dancin' Platinum has been giving the most bother...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I returned my Nixon long ago too. I think most of the real probs revolve around the IT air system. I would imagine the Super (coil) would be better. I rode another Nixon Platinum at Interbike which was well-behaved. When they work, they work pretty well.

The Pike air fixed all my Pike (coil) bottoming problems. The coil was too linear (the fork just dove through travel to bottomout on smallish bumps and during hard braking despite the spring giving me minimal sag) while the air has a very nice stroke indeed (soft at topout due to the good negative chamber and a very smooth ramp up for bottoming protection). I'm a very happy camper on the fork now.

It has a different ride feel than the Zoke's HSCV, but basically just as nice. It's a little quicker feeling overall: less Zoke motorcycle fork feel, more active long travel XC feel. It's quite nice.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
FYI...

if you want Manitou 6" single crown and don't mind another 0.5 lbs of weight, the Firefly Plus is quite nice. I'm running one on my 6-Pack and I like it a lot. Spent a couple of months last Fall riding the same fork on an X-5. I'm impressed, and because it's a Ti coil spring fork, it has none of the remote IT adjustment issues that the air Nixons had/have.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KDK said:
Hey Smokes, you are asking too many "fork questions". Are you thinking of ditching you Z1 ?
Honestly man I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I like to ride trails, my friends like to ride gnarly freeride-ish trails. I am torn right now between light and snappy and heavy and bomber. If I could find a happy middle ground then I would be cool. Something tells me I am on the right frame, I just wish I could have the option of having 6 inches of travel without the added weight. I would run it at 5 most of the time but crank it up to 6 for the shuttle days, ideally I would only have one fork to do all this. Right now, I think the only forks to do this are the duc32, and the AM1. The AM SL seems pretty sweet, its not too much heavier than my vanilla, I am assuming it will be stouter than my nilla (less flex) and it will have all those nifty TST,ETA,LMNOP features. the only thing is I am not sure if it is extendable to 150mm without having to change anything internally.

After having waited forever for heavy springs and changing my fork/stem/wheel/brake combo every other day according to the trails I ride I have decided that I don't like having 2 forks. ITs a pita. I wish I could have 2 bikes but my budget (and wife) are reigning supreme over me right now. Bummer.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Make a ZAM1 - 5.09 lbs - has all the LMNOP adjustments, Air Preload so no coils to switch, 130-150mm travel.

Pull the lowers off your Z1 and slap em on an AM1 and faaaget about it.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
SMOKEY said:
Honestly man I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I like to ride trails, my friends like to ride gnarly freeride-ish trails. I am torn right now between light and snappy and heavy and bomber. If I could find a happy middle ground then I would be cool. Something tells me I am on the right frame, I just wish I could have the option of having 6 inches of travel without the added weight. I would run it at 5 most of the time but crank it up to 6 for the shuttle days, ideally I would only have one fork to do all this. Right now, I think the only forks to do this are the duc32, and the AM1. The AM SL seems pretty sweet, its not too much heavier than my vanilla, I am assuming it will be stouter than my nilla (less flex) and it will have all those nifty TST,ETA,LMNOP features. the only thing is I am not sure if it is extendable to 150mm without having to change anything internally.

After having waited forever for heavy springs and changing my fork/stem/wheel/brake combo every other day according to the trails I ride I have decided that I don't like having 2 forks. ITs a pita. I wish I could have 2 bikes but my budget (and wife) are reigning supreme over me right now. Bummer.
smokey I've tried that "convertible" route before and just got frustrated like you are talking about.

I finally decided that my riding is so heavily influenced by riding big bikes that I just prefer to beef up my rig and suffer the climbs. of course I'm talking in relative terms here, meaning that a 35-lb 6-Pack is my cross country/ride anywhere rig, not a 23 lb hardtail with 4" travel in the front and V-brakes etc.

it means suffering a bit more when the XC leg shavers come around, but I get past that suffering by simply climbing at MY pace, and not theirs.

I would suggest sticking with the fork that has the best overall feel, the one that seems to provide the most grins when you ride it. don't consider weight or anything else. just the fun factor.

when you're having fun, you don't usually occupy your mind with stuff like, "jeezus this thing climbs like a pig I sure wish I was running that SID fork" -- ya know?
;)

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
gonzostrike said:
SSINGA,

will '03 Z1 FR QR20 lowers work with '05 AM 1 stanchions, internals, etc?
........yes indeedy! The only glaring incompatibility between Z1 & AM seems to be the circlipped assembly the 05 Z1 has in the lower right stantion...because the AM stantions do NOT have the groove on the lower inside lip to accomodate the c-clip. The 04 Z1(130mm) doesn't have this C-clip assembly, but does share the grooved stantions......other than that the 03 Z1 ---> 05 AM swap-over should be cake!

·
Registered
202 Posts
AM SL Has no ETA I believe...

SMOKEY said:
The AM SL seems pretty sweet, its not too much heavier than my vanilla, I am assuming it will be stouter than my nilla (less flex) and it will have all those nifty TST,ETA,LMNOP features. the only thing is I am not sure if it is extendable to 150mm without having to change anything internally.
Just incase no one else has mentioned it, it's worth noting that the AM SL does NOT have ETA. So you won't be able to lower the fork when climbing. Definitely worth thinking about if you do lots of steep climbs as this is a tall fork.

I'm also having a fork choosing nightmare. I held out last year for this years forks, but I have been a little disapointed overall with the choice. I'm thinking that the Vanilla is perhaps the best choice for me, but all this talk about people changing them worries me a bit - why the large exodus away? Is it purely for more stiffness?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am too in search of the 'perfect fork' :confused: :confused: :confused:

I would love to get the AM1 with all the adjustment goodies but would like a 20mm axle and HATE that colour. The Nixon appears very promising but it does not have the thumbs up from the Homers. The '04 Z1 looks ok but does not have the AM1 goodies, and the' 05 Z1 has even less adjustments than the '04.

The Pike is very new and support where I am is sketchy, and the Firefly is perhaps too much for the Spot ? The Foxes (TALAS, Vanilla) do not approve 8" rotors while the 36 is way too much for the Spot.

I guess I'll stick to my 04 Minute 1 and ride the crap out of it until Marz come out with a 20mm AM1 in black :D :D :D

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I was super dooper fit and strong. That way I could ride a ridiculously heavy bike all day long like its cool. I would settle for big balls and some extra endurance then I could ride a 19 lb Titanium Single speed rigid on every trail I come across with no fear.:cool:

I guess I will just have to live with being a fat guy on a heavy bike.
With some decent sized webos. ;)

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
KDK said:
I am too in search of the 'perfect fork' :confused: :confused: :confused:

I would love to get the AM1 with all the adjustment goodies but would like a 20mm axle and HATE that colour. The Nixon appears very promising but it does not have the thumbs up from the Homers. The '04 Z1 looks ok but does not have the AM1 goodies, and the' 05 Z1 has even less adjustments than the '04.

The Pike is very new and support where I am is sketchy, and the Firefly is perhaps too much for the Spot ? The Foxes (TALAS, Vanilla) do not approve 8" rotors while the 36 is way too much for the Spot.

I guess I'll stick to my 04 Minute 1 and ride the crap out of it until Marz come out with a 20mm AM1 in black :D :D :D
04 Z1 FR and the 05 Z1 FR1 have the same adjustments - the only difference is 20mm more travel in the 05.

Fox does allow 8" rotors with the newly designed 05 drop-outs for the 32mm forks

Why not make your own Black AM1 with a 20mm thru axle? If your not comfortable with that I can make one for you.

PS - the std axle, 32mm stanchion AM1 is going to be waaaaaaaaaaay stiffer than a 30mm stanchion Minute 1. Why the need for the 20 mm axle?

·
Registered
262 Posts
SSINGA said:
04 Z1 FR and the 05 Z1 FR1 have the same adjustments - the only difference is 20mm more travel in the 05.
Yes but isn't 150mm too much for the Spot?

SSINGA said:
Fox does allow 8" rotors with the newly designed 05 drop-outs for the 32mm forks
I did not know that. Thanks

SSINGA said:
Why not make your own Black AM1 with a 20mm thru axle? If your not comfortable with that I can make one for you.
Thanks for the offer but I live on the other side of the Atlantic (and beyond) and it is going to be too much trouble. But hey ! do you have an infinite stock of black lowers ?? :D :D

SSINGA said:
PS - the std axle, 32mm stanchion AM1 is going to be waaaaaaaaaaay stiffer than a 30mm stanchion Minute 1. Why the need for the 20 mm axle?
Do not really need.... just a bad case of UGI I guess :eek: :D

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
KDK said:
Yes but isn't 150mm too much for the Spot?

I did not know that. Thanks

Thanks for the offer but I live on the other side of the Atlantic (and beyond) and it is going to be too much trouble. But hey ! do you have an infinite stock of black lowers ?? :D :D

Do not really need.... just a bad case of UGI I guess :eek: :D
Greece is close enough to Italy - drop by the factory and pick up some new lowers:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
You are ...... throwing fuel into the UG fire !!

So if I get the AM1 what do I do ?? I just order the lowers of a 2005 Z1 as spare parts and just change them ??? (if you say yes you are going to give me sleepless nights) !!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.