Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my new Manitou Nixon Elite today from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery. Installing it and riding tomorrow.

For now I took an axle to crown measurement as there has been some discussion recently on this and other boards as to what it may be. Well measuring from the center of the axle to the bottom of the crown race the distance is exactly 510mm.

I have not had much time to look it over and will do so more tonight and will put it on my balance in my lab tomorrow but as for the weight, it feels heavy, or I might just be tired...overall looks super beefy. I have included this crappy pic but will take some close ups later and post them if I get to it. Looking forward to night riding tomorrow.
 

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Well, I certainly stand corrected on the A-C thing. My apologies to anyone I caused to have an aortic aneurism over that. Simply amazing that they squeezed 3mm lower A-C per travel than the former champ, the Mav DUC.

Have fun with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was/still am as perplexed as you

tscheezy said:
Well, I certainly stand corrected on the A-C thing. My apologies to anyone I caused to have an aortic aneurism over that. Simply amazing that they squeezed 3mm lower A-C per travel than the former champ, the Mav DUC.

Have fun with it.
I can't figure it out either unless the fork travel cycles similarly to a fox and disimilarly to a Sherman. I might be wrong but I think my fox cycles all the way to the crown (or very near to it) at max travel where as my friend's sherman cycles to about 5mm shy of the crown. Perhaps this is the diff?

When do expect to see your's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Is there any good way to mount a fender to that fork, or would the reverse arch hit it upon compression? I am looking for a new fork, curious about Manitou, but one requirement is that I can mount a fender on it for wet conditions. Something like "the" fender ideally.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
MArider- the amount of exposed stanchion doesn't really tell you anything when comparing one fork to another It can, however, tell you something about your particular fork though. For instance my Z1 SL's negative chamber has a very tiny oil leak. When the neg chamber collects enough oil, I start losing travel (the fork no longer extends fully). I have a little stick with a sharpie mark on it I lay against the stanchion which tells me when the amount of exposed stanchion drops and it is time to drain the oil. I rest the bottom end of the stick on the dust wiper, and the mark should correspond with the bottom of the crown. The Manitoo manual should tell you how much stanchion should still be exposed at bottom-out. Obviously there needs to be more than 145mm of stanchion exposed on the Nixon no matter what when the fork is fully racked out though...

Frank- that is one of my few hangups with the reverse arch design. I am a big fender user and the RA does come up and overlap with the back of the crown, so it would hit a fender which does not rise up behind the crown. You could just mount a THE fender backwards, so the piece that rises up is in back (though it may be too tall and hit the downtube). I just ran a downtube snot-catcher when I tried the Minute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see your point.

tscheezy said:
MArider- the amount of exposed stanchion doesn't really tell you anything when comparing one fork to another It can, however, tell you something about your particular fork though. For instance my Z1 SL's negative chamber has a very tiny oil leak. When the neg chamber collects enough oil, I start losing travel (the fork no longer extends fully). I have a little stick with a sharpie mark on it I lay against the stanchion which tells me when the amount of exposed stanchion drops and it is time to drain the oil. I rest the bottom end of the stick on the dust wiper, and the mark should correspond with the bottom of the crown. The Manitoo manual should tell you how much stanchion should still be exposed at bottom-out. Obviously there needs to be more than 145mm of stanchion exposed on the Nixon no matter what when the fork is fully racked out though..
That is a very clever technique.

BTW, The seal to crown measurement on my Nixon is 160mm when fully extended. Oh well. I am riding one of my favorite trails tommorow night so it will be nice to switch from theory to practice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Fork legs extend below the axle

MARider said:
I can't figure it out either unless the fork travel cycles similarly to a fox and disimilarly to a Sherman. I might be wrong but I think my fox cycles all the way to the crown (or very near to it) at max travel where as my friend's sherman cycles to about 5mm shy of the crown. Perhaps this is the diff?

When do expect to see your's?

My Firefly has the same characteristic. Look at where the fork leg ends. It's below the axle centerline like a MX bike fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Now we know why DT didn't answer your

tscheezy said:
Well, I certainly stand corrected on the A-C thing. My apologies to anyone I caused to have an aortic aneurism over that. Simply amazing that they squeezed 3mm lower A-C per travel than the former champ, the Mav DUC.

Have fun with it.
axle to crown question. LOL Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
as a person who as an inside line at a manitou distributorship...

Nixons arrived today. Black and Grey, with IT travel adjust, and RTWD travel adjust. I think three of the four possible combinations of those features showed up. All with standard QRs me believes. I forget which ones. Ummm. Pretty.

Also, some Minutes arrived with said IT travel adjustment.

I had previously had my heart set on the nixon, but I don't know if truly the range of 115 to 145mm of travel fits my needs. 100 to 130 may be more my style. However, methinks IT feature would be right up my alley, along with the slight weigh advantage of the minute3 over the Nixon.

(I currently have a minute three on my spot. Upgrade for the little features... Humm...)
 

·
the refurbished one
Joined
·
723 Posts
MARider said:
...Well measuring from the center of the axle to the bottom of the crown race the distance is exactly 510mm...
sorry to be so fussy, but you have to measure from the center of the axle to the top (not to the bottom) of the crown (to that point where the base plate of the headset is located).
that will rise the length of the fork to approx. over 520mm. 10mm ~ 1degree, so the headangle will be still slacker.
i look really forward to your first review of that fork.


cheers,
phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,971 Posts
hball said:
sorry to be so fussy, but you have to measure from the center of the axle to the top (not to the bottom) of the crown (to that point where the base plate of the headset is located).
that will rise the length of the fork to approx. over 520mm. 10mm ~ 1degree, so the headangle will be still slacker.
i look really forward to your first review of that fork.


cheers,
phil
...actually, what you called "the base plate of the headset" is technically referred to as the "crown race"..... so he was referring to your alluded to standard of measurement.
 

·
the refurbished one
Joined
·
723 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...actually, what you called "the base plate of the headset" is technically referred to as the "crown race"..... so he was referring to your alluded to standard of measurement.
aah, ok. sorry for that.
but anyway the ac length of the nixon is 525mm. ;)

/phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no it isn't

hball said:
aah, ok. sorry for that.
but anyway the ac length of the nixon is 525mm. ;)

/phil
the ac length of the nixon is 510mm, not 525mm. or were you being sarcastic? tough to tell sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2315.4 grams.

Just put the fork on my analytical balance in my lab (very accurate and precise) and it came in at 2315.4 grams. I knew it felt heavy--not that I care in the slightest.
 

·
mad aussie
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
MA, what kind of damping does the Nixon Elite have? I was not sure if they are all SPV or does the Elite have TPC+?
I like the sound of the fork, I wonder if the 145mm travel includes the negative travel. That would make 140mm travel, which might explain why it is only 10mm longer than the Fox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
MARider said:
Just put the fork on my analytical balance in my lab (very accurate and precise) and it came in at 2315.4 grams. I knew it felt heavy--not that I care in the slightest.
Wow. 5.10 lbs. I wonder what the 20mm and the Elite vs. Platinum adds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No SPV on the Elite

Flying Wombat said:
MA, what kind of damping does the Nixon Elite have? I was not sure if they are all SPV or does the Elite have TPC+?
I like the sound of the fork, I wonder if the 145mm travel includes the negative travel. That would make 140mm travel, which might explain why it is only 10mm longer than the Fox.
The Elite has TPC damping.
 

·
Tame the Penguin!
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Nixon Platinum weights

CrashTheDOG said:
Wow. 5.10 lbs. I wonder what the 20mm and the Elite vs. Platinum adds.
I weighed in the Nixon Platinum that Larry had at Mountain High Cyclery last week. It was 1920g w/out lockout lever & cable and 1972g with lockout lever & cable. Photos will be posted in "Let's talk about Shocks" forum when I get a chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Are either of you two right?

MARider said:
the ac length of the nixon is 510mm, not 525mm. or were you being sarcastic? tough to tell sometimes.
So which is it, or are they all that different?
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top