Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a firm spring kit for my nixon elite 115-145 fork. Tech at manitou said that firm kit plus the booster spring is the extra firm configuration, but the nixon service manual on page 18 clearly says that for the firm configuration purchase the firm kit and install the booster spring-so which is it? I weigh 195 geared up and like to ride hard - please advise.

sorry dougal I know you already tried to help but after reading the manual became confused

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
run the firm plus the inner spring - that's the "firm" setting - the extra firm kit is different spring. At your weight you need the added inner spring regardless of the terminology - A couple of other pointers - do you have the Manitou socket to get the retainer nut off the fork? It's a special thin wall socket. Second - removing the inner spring and reinstalling it can be a bit of a challenge, but with a pair of long nosed needle nosed pliers you can unthread it from the outer spring then rethread it into the new spring, it just takes a little convincing. The firm upgrade is an improvement, but pretty subtle in the early part of the stroke. It did help lessen the brake dive a bit for me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey, what size socket is the top "nut" to take out the spring assembly? When I went to take mine apart, a 24 and 28mm socket doesn't fit, 24 wont fit the nut, 28 the socket is too wide

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
It's a 28mm but it's thin walled so it fits between the crown and the rtwd bolt - Enduro seals may carry them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.