Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see by the photo here, the Nitrous is over the published weight. This is causing me great guilt, so I am bringing my bad to the public's eye. I understand if anyone with a Nitrous on order decides to cancel as the frame is almost 30 grams over claimed weight. I am truly sorry. Given another chance I would have listed the weight at 4.6lbs for a medium. For the record the small weights in at 4.46 lbs and the large is 4.67 lbs.

David Turner

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
i really hope you're kidding, its only 30 gr overweight, but it is still a kickass bike, one that I have seriously considered buying if it weren't for all the dough. It still has a very low weight for a reasonable travel FS (it surely isnt some crappy scalpel or softtail STP or something...)

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Do I detect a hint of cynicism here?

If you're who I supect...nice one. I remember the discussions of a few months back.

If you really don't like that frame I'll get rid of it for you! (You'll have to ship it to Europe, though)

:D

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
bolts

turnerbikes said:
As you can see by the photo here, the Nitrous is over the published weight. This is causing me great guilt, so I am bringing my bad to the public's eye. I understand if anyone with a Nitrous on order decides to cancel as the frame is almost 30 grams over claimed weight. I am truly sorry. Given another chance I would have listed the weight at 4.6lbs for a medium. For the record the small weights in at 4.46 lbs and the large is 4.67 lbs.

David Turner
you need a titanium bolts kit, that will shave off the extra weight ;)

see
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=159572#post159572

they have been holding in very well on my 5-spot :cool:

·
Registered
149 Posts
See that cable sticking out of the seatpost? Tha's charging the frame so that it is slectromagnetically attracted to the iron roof, reducing the weight shown on the scales.

BUSTED!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
dovid said:
See that cable sticking out of the seatpost? Tha's charging the frame so that it is slectromagnetically attracted to the iron roof, reducing the weight shown on the scales.

BUSTED!!!!!!!
well it is a bit funny how they post a frame weight as if it was a revelation, instead of the weight that the frame builder up in oregon guaranteed it to be

but hei, great: now we have another ultra-light frame that weights 4.5 pounds, just a bit more of my 1995 amp-b3 that was 4.3 :) at my weight (150) pounds it might even work as the amp did ;)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Jm. said:
Naw, I can't imagine a turner working that bad.
it was not exactly great but i miss it and i wish there was something like that on the market: cheap, short travel, good for smooth trail riding, there is the stunning bianchi Caal but it is still $1600 that, with all its sophistication and exotic material, is more than i want to spend for a sub-3" frame :p

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amp

Uhhh, I worked at AMP before I started Turner bikes and I am sure that there is nothing in common with the ride of any AMP bike and a Nitrous. They were light for sure, but required using funky low tech shocks with weird short lengths, set scews and un-sealed tiny little pivots. I have great respect for Horst as a visionary and businessman, I really cannot say enough about his work eithic or ability to push a product through tedious months of development to the market. But as a bicycle designer he and I never could see eye to eye. As a recently retired multi-year National pro I had some very strong ideas what a bicycle should feel like under the rider, and he as a grandfather, designer and businessman had quite another.

If there is anyone out there that has suggestions based on thier experience of the Nitrous as compared to thier last race bike out there I would love to hear it. This is just the beginning of my commitment to building the best race bike I can for years to come. In my opinion the lightest is not always the best. There is a fine grey line, and the trick is to dance along it with deft steps for all aspects of the product.

David Turner

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Turner generally - I was at Over the Edge Sports in Fruita last weekend and they have a phenomenal array of rides for sale especially for such a small shop - anyway - Troy - shop owner - spent a lot of time praising the company and products and I put an XL 5 Spot frame on digital scale - 6.5 lbs - Anyone have actual frame weights on the Flux in a large and XL?

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
FPC said:
Re: Turner generally - I was at Over the Edge Sports in Fruita last weekend and they have a phenomenal array of rides for sale especially for such a small shop - anyway - Troy - shop owner - spent a lot of time praising the company and products and I put an XL 5 Spot frame on digital scale - 6.5 lbs - Anyone have actual frame weights on the Flux in a large and XL?
Lg Flux frames are coming in at 5.6-5.7lbs, I haven't weighed an XL though.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
costum geometry

turnerbikes said:
Uhhh, I worked at AMP before I started Turner bikes and I am sure that there is nothing in common with the ride of any AMP bike and a Nitrous.

If there is anyone out there that has suggestions based on thier experience of the Nitrous as compared to thier last race bike out there I would love to hear it. This is just the beginning of my commitment to building the best race bike I can for years to come. In my opinion the lightest is not always the best. There is a fine grey line, and the trick is to dance along it with deft steps for all aspects of the product.

David Turner
if you are serious about producing a racing bike you need to give a costum geometry option: for an expert/pro level racer that is way more important than half-pound of weight (there ought to be a way to do so even when outsourcing production as you do)

PS i know you worked wirh Horst and the b3 was not exactly a gem of durability, but i still miss it: it was my first full suspension bike! and frankly the funky shock was not much different from short travel platform shocks of today in feeling!!!

As fas as the lightest racer ... i personally would go high end carbon: with enough research money spent on it (probably too much for any "small operation") this is where the real weight saving can and will come from sooner or later (if not now) :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
does anyone know if the 165lb. rider weight limit on that frame is with or withour gear. I am about 160gr withuot gear, I suspect maybe 5-10 lb of gear.

Even though that frame might not be eligible for me because of my weight, dang its nice!!!! does anyone know how much weight it saves over a top110 fuel?

·
Banned
706 Posts
Davide said:
if you are serious about producing a racing bike you need to give a costum geometry option: for an expert/pro level racer that is way more important than half-pound of weight...
You sure about that? 'Cause Trek, Scott, and probably quite a few others who produce carbon frames can't make custom bikes for their racers, and they seem to do just fine.

I also wager that the percentage of Experts on custom frames is pretty small.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.