Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 06 Nitrous off fleabay. I love my dw-flux, but my inner weight-weenie just got the better of me.

I think I may be taking quite a risk buying a 3+ year old 'race-only' frame, so wondered if anyone is still regularly riding a nitrous, and how they are holding up. Trouble is they were as rare as rocking-horse sh1t on this forum when they first came out, so....anyone???

I'll use it just for races - the flux can be the training and trail bike. Oh yeah, the 6pack can stand in for trail duty too :thumbsup: (yes i am a sad but unrepentant turner whore ;) )

·
Registered
380 Posts
This one is: 9.83kg with pedals, or approx 21.6lbs.

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I'm going to have a similar build: xtr, tune on stans, schwalbe ralph/ron, kcnc, formula r1s, and an old reba while i save for a new SID. If I get close to 21.6lbs I'll be very happy!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Keep us up to date on the build and how she holds up. BTW, how much do you weigh? Reason I ask is I was going to pull the trigger on a Nitrous, but decided not to as I weigh 200-210. I would have only used it at the races...but I was "cautious" and went for the Flux. I still find myself lurking when one of these come up for sale....must not push "Buy it Now" button!!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Last year I raced an '06 I had picked up second hand, and it was still going strong when I resold it towards the end of the season. I have to say though, if I had a DW Flux and wanted a lighter bike I'd probably just get a 29" hardtail. Not to suggest that you won't like the Nitrous, it's great for what it is, but the DW bikes pedal so well that you don't lose much in the way of efficiency with longer travel, and the added stiffness is well worth the weight in my book.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Otter,

I am pretty sure that the Nitrous had a weight limit of 165lbs, at 210, I would be a little worried about how long the frame would hold up, but if you get a great deal, hit that "Buy it Now" button! :)

Otter said:
Keep us up to date on the build and how she holds up. BTW, how much do you weigh? Reason I ask is I was going to pull the trigger on a Nitrous, but decided not to as I weigh 200-210. I would have only used it at the races...but I was "cautious" and went for the Flux. I still find myself lurking when one of these come up for sale....must not push "Buy it Now" button!!!

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Keep us up to date on the build and how she holds up. BTW, how much do you weigh?
- will do. I've got most of the bits I need, but the wheels need rebuilding and a new freehub, so that could cause a delay. Hopefully all sorted for my next xc race in March...
I weigh 159lb, and that's at the chunkier end of my normal range so hopefully I won't trouble the nitrous's welds too much ;)

I have to say though, if I had a DW Flux and wanted a lighter bike I'd probably just get a 29" hardtail
- agreed, the flux makes a fine racebike, and i'll still use it on enduro type races where the extra suspension and slightly more relaxed angles will make it an easier proposition to keep upright when i'm knackered. i've yet to try a 29er - they haven't caught on here in the UK like they have in the States, though it looks like that is changing. anyway, i've always lusted after a nitrous and this little piece of history was really cheap on ebay so i just went for it :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My wife's is still going strong, gold med. Hers is built not so much for racing but long distance riding, weighs in at around 24lbs. Although, since we moved to CO last June it has been collecting dust, pure 5Spot territory out here :thumbsup:

Anyone looking for a med Nitrous :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have a 05 that is still running strong. I only use it for racing. I have mine down to 22.5 lbs. I had my first race last week and it amazes me how fast the bike feels.
Ed

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is all great news - they are obviously a bit more robust than i'd given them credit for! plus, just found out the one i've 'won' on auction is an 07 so hopfully there's load of miles left in it yet...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Jorgen said:
This one is: 9.83kg with pedals, or approx 21.6lbs.
I wouldn't clamp the frame like that if I were you.

I've still got a Stinger running nicely so the Nitrous should be fine with a kind smooth rider.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I confirm the weight limit of the Nitrous, that's why I never get one :rolleyes:
Anyway, here is a picture of my wife's one: we baught it from an xc racer 2 years ago and build it in a cool way for her. Still going good since then and will probably last a very long time as it is never pushed to its limits anymore...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tassie Devil said:
I wouldn't clamp the frame like that if I were you.

I've still got a Stinger running nicely so the Nitrous should be fine with a kind smooth rider.
It is not mine, and it was not clamped, just held in place :)

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a nice looking bike. Not sure I could carry off the pink forks on my build though ;)

I've been trawling the www for nitrous info and it looks like they can hold up pretty well. Can't wait to get my hand on my new one now - should be here in the next few days. I'd better get my racehead on :thumbsup:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I could be wrong (usually am) but I thought they were initially going to have a weight limit (165 or 175lbs) and then DT said no weight limit...just realize what the bike is intended to do. I remember a post DT had saying that Kabush is over that weight and rides like a mad man. Either way my Flux has served me well, but the inner child in me would love to build one of these up and race it a few times. Flex should probably be my bigger concern.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i've had 2 nitrous frames. my first (2005) cracked after 2 years of riding/racing. i'm about 150 pounds, and i noticed the crack after a race. my second (2008) is still going strong. hopefully it'll last until dt and company decide to start making them again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts