Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what others think about this tail light. We have one and for an $11 light it really is pretty good. It has 5 LED's, 3 rear and 2 side. It uses various modes. It surprised me that they use red LED's under the red lens. I guess white LED's under the red lens would make it to bright maybe, not sure. Or maybe red LED's are less expensive than white ones. Anyway, you can clip it to your clothes or use the included mount.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
White LEDs require a bit more voltage and current draw than red LEDs. You can power a red LED (or a bunch of them wired in parallel) from two AA or AAA batteries but you probably won't get white LEDs to light up. Also, for the same number of LEDs, white LEDs draw about twice the current so your batteries drain about twice as fast.

A white LED behind a red lens appears pink, not red.

I'm wondering how this tail light compares to the PB SuperFlash? I think that the PB SF is going to be the standard to compare all tail lights to for under $30. That's why I own two of them :thumbsup:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did notice that the Niterider 5 LED light is sold under many different brand names, so I am unsure who the real manufacture of it is. I just found it on Amazon for $8.99 with free shipping under the Avenir name. Planet Bike also sells something like it but with only 3 LED's.

I may have to get the Super Flash to compare them, but it is twice as expensive. Anyone know why the SF comes in a red lens and one with a white lens?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If this Niterider tail light uses regular 5mm LEDs then there is no comparison. Typical red LEDs are visible out to about a half of a mile at the most, if that, after dark. The 1/2 watt red LED that is used in the SF can be seen for over 3/4 of a mile, probably closer to a mile, during daylight. Granted, it was shortly after sunrise when I saw that SF that morning but it was about 3/4 mile away and I could make out the distinctive pulse of the 1/2 watt LED.

What I would love to see is someone putting together two of those 1/2 watt red LEDs and have them pulse sequentially in a pattern much like the SF. That would get driver's attention really quickly!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay so I just received a 5 LED tail light by Avenir for $9. It is identical to the NiteRider 5 LED tail light with one difference, the LED's are a deeper red. It is also much deeper than the Planet Bike Superflash Stealth tail light LED's. The SF Stealth LED's are similar to the NiteRider 5 LED's in tint. At first I thought it was just the red lens on the Avenir that made it darker, but with the lens cover off the LED's are still a deeper red. From a distance the Avenir is not as bright as the Niterider.

My conclusion is that the Avenir 5 LED tail light is something you should avoid. For $11 the Niterider 5 LED tail light is far worth the exra couple bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.