Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to modify my Niterider universal tail light so that it runs of it's own battery supply instead of the system battery supply.

Ideally, it would run off of eneloops or something like that, but I am flexible. I will also most likely use locking trail-tech connectors for the mod.

I actually have two versions of this tail light. The older one looks like this:

It has a specific sku number for my 123.2 Volt system, so I'm assuming that's what is required. Would I be required to run 10 AAA batteries to make this work?

My other version of this tail light is an updated version.

It seems to be more universal since it says that it runs off 6v and 13.2v systems. The only drawback is that I'd prefer to not modify this one as it works well on my current setup.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No thoughts on this? Well, I do have one other question for now that this group could help with. Apparently, the circuit that makes the tail light blink is built into the main lighting circuit, which I am no longer using. When I've tested it by itself, it is only a steady on or off. Can someone point me to a good circuit or driver to turn this back into a blinking light? I've done an inittial search, but the amount of options out there is staggering.

Thanks!

Chris

PS I'm going to try to run 11 1/3AA Nimh batteries to run this system to meet the appropriate voltage.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
i can`t see what the gain would be??

and a complete blinky rear light can be had for less than the cost of a "blinky driver"
cheaper and less weight!!
Good question. It's a very bright taillight. Much brighter than anything I've seen that is out there now. A majority of my rides are at night (sigh...newborn children!), so a good tail light is essential.

I had this taillight with my old system which has seen better days, so the only thing to salvage would be the tail light. It seems like using the waterbottle battery would be overkill for this application.

I'm also new to the DIY light arena, so this seems like a good stepping stone for me.

Do you have any recommendations for a driver that would be adequate for this?

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
new ones work fine in 7.2 nimh

I have been running 2 of the new style ones on various 7.2v nimh batteries no problem, just cut the wire and add your choice of plug.

I assume you know to hold down the button while its on to change blinking mode--i have never used the older model you have ther, might be different. I hear you about babies and night riding, got some great ones in this year though.

It is a nice bright light. I amso sick of the "disposable" crap that is most blinkies

I see no reason why it would not run on 7.4v vs 7.2. Keep us posted

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Too much to go wrong with a huge AA battery pack and lead, just buy 2 LED's 1 being the Smart with the 1/2 watt middle LED or something and another just incase it switches off mid ride, thats what I do.

Know if you want to setup a light to point near enough directly down and light up the floor where your riding to give you a huge presence that would be talking.

Maybe another pointing at your back to activily light you to.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have the newer NiteRider taillight the OP posted. I am seeking out new battery options for it. I have a lot of 2S and 3S lipo batteries, they're fairly compact and lightweight enough. The 2000mAh 11.1 3S battery would fit in a seat bag quite easily to power the taillight. Would using Lithium Polymer be a bad idea? I am aware of the issues of running them low on voltage, a cheap lipo cutoff would be an option, or just using regular recharge intervals. I realize that AAA blinkies like the SuperFlash are great, but this NiteRider taillight is amazing day or night. I'm pretty sure there is no advantage running it at higher voltage, I think it regulates the voltage down as after 1 second of being on using a 13.3v battery the LEDs ever so slightly dim.

So.. what battery options do I have? Is there a pre-made L-ion battery about the size of the NiteRider MiNewt battery that I could use?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.