Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just placed an order for a NiteRider Enduro HID. My friend that works at a shop tells me their current quality is garbage. Apparently they break all the time and his shop does not sell them because of that.

What is your experience with somewhat current NiteRider HID lights?

Thanks,

Ming

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
I’m not sure about their current quality, because everyone I know who has Niterider gear has no reason to upgrade from their old stuff. There were a few issues earlier on with battery packs dying prematurely, and the occasional ballast issues, but generally I think most owners would agree that they’re bombproof and pretty much trouble free.

Obviously this doesn’t really help you with current quality, but I’m surprised that your friend has issues with selling them.

Dave.

·
Cold Blooded
190 Posts
I have owned the HID Storm for three seasons now and it hjas gone back twice. Even so I can't say that I would never buy another Nightrider product. I use the HID year round and several times every week. The first time it went back it was covered under warranty, but the second time i had to pay $40. The turnaround was incredible and they upgraded cables and the battery. So even though it has had some issues the customer service has been great. On the other hand I bought a Light In Motion Arc Hid and it has worked flawlessly for three years. I guess I am lucky to have it as a backup. Why not stick to the Light In Motion? Because the Nightrider is just a little brighter, bright enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Critking said:
I have owned the HID Storm for three seasons now and it hjas gone back twice. Even so I can't say that I would never buy another Nightrider product. I use the HID year round and several times every week. The first time it went back it was covered under warranty, but the second time i had to pay $40. The turnaround was incredible and they upgraded cables and the battery. So even though it has had some issues the customer service has been great. On the other hand I bought a Light In Motion Arc Hid and it has worked flawlessly for three years. I guess I am lucky to have it as a backup. Why not stick to the Light In Motion? Because the Nightrider is just a little brighter, bright enough to make a difference.
First hand experience is always great to hear. Thank you for the informative reply.

I was pretty much stuck between the NiteRider and L&M Arc. The NiteRider was just quite a bit cheaper. Since I will only use the light for the 24 hour race once or twice a year, I just couldn't justify the higher cost of the Arc :(

I bought the light from a mail order firm, so I will actually have a receipt. Hopefully if anything breaks, it will be during the warranty period.

I'm surprised to see the NiteRider was brighter than the Arc though. I've always read the Arc is a little brighter, and also has a better dispersed light pattern. This is very interesting. How much do you like the battery on the NiteRider? How does the battery life compared between the Storm and the Arc?

Thanks again,

Ming

·
Registered
104 Posts
enduro hid

Got myself an enduro HID about a month ago. All was good for the first few weeks then one night after a ride i was charging the battery and I noticed that the charge indicator had switched to green (meaning it was now trickle charging). I grabbed the battery to unplug it and discovered that the battery pack had warmed up quite significatnly - indicating that the charger wasn't actually trickle charging but was in fact still trying ot pump current into the now full battery.

anyway, a quick email ot niterider sorted this all out very quickly. they first gave me a few suggestions to try and after they didn't work, they sent a new charger to me. big deal you might say? well number one, they didn't require me to send the old charger back or even ask about a receipt (this did make me wonder if they've had lots of problems with the enduro charger, especially as they sent me the next model up). number two was that they shipped it to australia, no probs. so anyway, i've been happy with the customer service from NR but do make sure that you check that your charger is operating properly.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I would go for Light n Motion myself, we had a whole group of us with Light n Motion, there was another group with NiteRider kit, heard of issues etc............... I investigated this topic loads, cause man alive a decent light aint cheap, so for me it has to be the shizzle..........

Do some research on Light n Motion.......

Good luck....:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
whippet said:
Got myself an enduro HID about a month ago. All was good for the first few weeks then one night after a ride i was charging the battery and I noticed that the charge indicator had switched to green (meaning it was now trickle charging). I grabbed the battery to unplug it and discovered that the battery pack had warmed up quite significatnly - indicating that the charger wasn't actually trickle charging but was in fact still trying ot pump current into the now full battery. ..........
Can you elaborate? I mean if it was charging at full power then switched to trickle...The battery would still be warm for a while right :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Storm HID

I am on my second one. Purchased the first one about 2 years ago. Followed all directions on charging and usage,etc. Never worked right. Would burn for 10-15 min, then just shut off. Not a nice thing when doing a night race. You would have to wait a few seconds before turning it back on. Then it might burn again for 10-15 min, or it might burn for 3 hrs.???? My LBS let me return it and gave me another one to try before I canned the whole system. The 2nd light I got has been perfect. I use it and charge it the same way as before, but this one has never faulted.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought an older used Storm.......probably one of the first generation HIDs, and I love it.

It's funny this thread should come up, cause a few of my friends with newer Niteriders had some problems on one of our recent "getting caught in the rain" rides. Mine has survived 12hrs. of Tsali (which POURED the entired time), and several other wet, nasty nights. Everyone else I know has at least got some kind of moisture in the lamp.

Several bike shop people I've talked to are starting to lean towards the Lights-n-Motion stuff. If I ever have to replace my setup, I'll probably give them a try.
A close friend that moved to Nebraska awhile back, and works for REI, swears by their stuff. He said he was having some serious issues with Niterider customer service. When he got his Lights-n-Motion stuff, he had a wreck and broke some parts. They sent him replacements without question.

That's my 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.