Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone familiar with NiteRider know the capacity used on their older 13V NiCads?

My friend has one and the light goes into standby mode after only 45 minutes. I'm trying to see if I can rejunvinate it with my peak charger.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
His charger might be bad. It might look like it works but when you use the battery you find it never gets to full charge. I have a Trail Rat that I had to get a new charger for. Once I changed chargers the battery went to normal full charge. Before that I was only getting 20 minutes. I would definitely try another charger on the battery.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
borregokid said:
His charger might be bad. It might look like it works but when you use the battery you find it never gets to full charge. I have a Trail Rat that I had to get a new charger for. Once I changed chargers the battery went to normal full charge. Before that I was only getting 20 minutes. I would definitely try another charger on the battery.
Could be. I'm using my peak charger to discharge the battery at 2A, which takes 1 hour. I'm just trying to get an idea how long it should really take.

Keep in mind that it is an old battery though.

·
Unshaven Yak
503 Posts
I just picked up a new battery from batteryspace and my 12yr old Nightrider dual-beam is back to it's original fire-breathing self! It's great pulling up next to guys with HID systems and having them say "Damn, bright lights man!", and that is on the low spot setting!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I had to trumpet to someone.
:eek:

If you pose the question on the batteryspace bicycle "forum", you will have an answer lickety split. I had similar questions and they were really responsive.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I would guess around 3000mAh with sub-C NiCads. So even with a full 32W (20+12), it should last about an hour and 15 minutes. With those old trickle chargers, it's easy to over charge and the battery loses capacity over time anyway. It's easy to see how may have lost capacity. A good cycling might help a bit but isn't going to bring it back to full capacity.

With a new 4500mAh battery, you should get 1 hour 50 minutes on high or close to 3 hours with just the 20W.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.