Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Deadhead Biker
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! What are your thoughts about nite riding in Pisgah.....mostly the Grandfather disrict? I am not really talking epic stuff just like some 3 or so hours during a full moon?

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
As long as you have some one to ride with, its fine. Going out by yourself on a ride like that is kinda stupid. I've ridden extensively in Pisgah, although not in the Grandfather district, but I don't think that the rules would change...

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
Sounds like fun to me! I've done a few Pisgah solo night rides and don't think it is inherently more dangerous than riding the same trails during the day. As long as you have the proper lights and are prepared for the unexpected you should be fine. My biggest concern with the Grandfather district at night would be navigation but if you know the trails you shouldn't have a problem

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
driftwood said:
My biggest concern with the Grandfather district at night would be navigation but if you know the trails you shouldn't have a problem
That would be my thought too. Davidson River and Mills River (and Bent Creek) seem to be easier to navigate and better mapped IMO.

Other than that, you know your skills and abilities including your aptitudes in survival if something did happen. Let someone know where you are (not a bad idea to let another rider who is familiar with the trails know) and all the other normal stuff.

FWIW, I never get to nightride much in the mountains. We have a long drive, so we end up doing big rides during the day and are too tired (and have had a few post-ride bevs) so the night rides rarely happen. I've done North Slope and Sycamore and it was a ton of fun though. I'd like to do something like Laurel Mountain Loop at night with a couple buddies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.