Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of research on lights and have finally narrowed it down to these two. This will be my first bike light. Looking to run a single light on my helmet. All my riding is on trails, once or twice a week at most, and probably not more than 2 hours at a time. However, I like to ride hard when I do ride.

Both of these lights are in the $280 - $300 range and the 500 - 600 lumen output range. If you have experience with either light, I would love to get your feedback. Here is what I have gathered so far.

CygoLite TridenX
  • Very light weight, possibly more of a flood lamp than a spot lamp (does this create a problem for fast trail riding?), poorly designed helmet mount (altho these reviews were from 2007... maybe the helmet mount has been improved since the?), easy controls on the light itself (this isn't that big of a concern to me as I don't plan to be switching between modes often), good light output, battery can be mounted to helmet to balance out light, pretty short warranty, overall lots of really great reviews

NiteRider TriNewt
  • Claimed run time is longer than TridenX but reviews say true run time is less than claimed, sounds pretty indestructible, good light output, limited lifetime warranty and two years on the light, pretty heavy esp for a helmet mount, switch is on battery (but again, not as big of a concern to me)

I've been debating this way too long so I'm ready to pull the trigger on one. I'd love to hear what people have to say! Thanks.

-DC-

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've reciently purchased a (Triden X Extra) for my handelbar to go with a NiteFlux Enduro 12 single, 1000 claimed lumens for my helmet. I'm very happy with it, and am glad i went for the extra capasity lithiom battery as many night rides are exceeding three hours. It gives a good stock beam pattern with more range than my earlier light, the NiteFlux Enduro 8 single, and holds it's own with my 12 watt Enduro single with med optic,and as a pair i think you would have to get into a Nite Rider 1200 Pro, or a Darkstar for a noticable output improvement.Battery performance hasn't been challenged yet as i haven't exseeded four hour rides. I haven't seen the TriNewt in action but i have read many reviews that seem to be tipical of many Nite Rider products. Failing battery's!!!! or chargers. Don't understand with all the competition out there why Nite Rider hasn't resolved what seems to be the norm with there products. When they work they give off good light and are competative in there performance.So hopefully without sounding to bias i would recomend the Cygolite Triden X. If you haven't made up your mind yet, i think for the money, the DarkStar is the best light out there right now, $420. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The failing batteries/chargers seemed to be a recurring theme with the NiteRider. Between that and it's heavy weight I ended up going with the CygoLite. The trails have been too muddy to ride so I haven't had a chance to try it out but I'm looking forward to it!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
dcraig said:
Thanks for the feedback. The failing batteries/chargers seemed to be a recurring theme with the NiteRider. Between that and it's heavy weight I ended up going with the CygoLite. The trails have been too muddy to ride so I haven't had a chance to try it out but I'm looking forward to it!
You'll love the TridenX (I have two...) I personally think it's a better bar light and you should consider a Magicshine for your helmet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
iv used many systems in the past.
problem with the cygolite is that its mostly spot, and the flood sucks...
problem with the trinewt is battery pack problems, never had a run time problem, but i have rattled it apart.... the best part was that they covered it twice out of warranty.. coolest people ever, (and im a sucker to made in the USA)
goods, cygolite is bright for what spot it has
nirerider just straight up has the best light distribution
also the trinewt is no longer going to be a production model for 2010

i currently ride with 2 niteirder 1200s (1 on helmet 1 on bars) best damn lights EVER
if you would ever need to compensate for anything, this would be the light to do it... you should read about how you can custom tune each setting. (also look at the pro600)...
so far iv been riding with these since october, when i got my superfly 100, and no problems.
i think they fixed it by taking the switch off the battery pack (thats where the elements were getting in) and putting it on the light unit itself.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a TriNewt and would not buy another. The battery life is not that good. The battery is huge compared to others and the switch is located on the battery instead of the light head. The light head is very heavy as well.

Just bought a MagicShine and would highly recommend you buy 3-4 of them instead of a TriNewt, for the same money. The MS light head is extremely lightweight, it seems to put out more light, the battery life is about 2 - 2.5 hrs, which is better than my TriNewt, and for $84 delivered, you can get 3 or 4 of them for the same price.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Funny,

I have both. I'm sending the cygolite back.

I bought the cygolite to replace the newt after my battery was destroyed. NOT impressed due to the uneven beam of the cygolite. Just not my style. I really liked the even beam of the trinewt with NO artifact.

I bought three magicshines to see how it will compare to the newt. We'll see. I'm gonna try to DIY a battery for the trinewt so I'll have both.

The cygolite is a good light but the uneven pattern drove me nuts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cygolite lights are not good at all, i used 2 triden X 600 lumen lights and the MC 300 on my helmet and the light beam pattern was horrible. I did not like the blue tint on the lights and they don't throw far either. I am going to be getting me 2 niterider pro 1200's one for my helmet and one for my handle bars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a TridenX light. The combination of two flood leds and one spot in the center does a good job of projecting light. The flood leds produces an even spread of light in front on the ground. The center led projects light as a spot light for distance seeing.
The amount of light usable is apparent in dark areas of the road I ride on. Cars mistake me for a motorcycle more than once.
Looking at the light from an incoming car perspective, Triden X is very bright and looks like a HID car lamp. I am very happy with the performance of the light vs price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.