Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of days ago,my Aunt calls me about a bike that belonged to my cousin that she was about to toss out. It turned out to be the very first mountain bike I ever rode.My cousin bought it new and he rode it over to my house.I was a roadie at the time and I told him mountain bikes were a fad. :rolleyes:That was before I threw my leg over it and took it out for a spin. Many years and mt bikes later,I have the bike in my collection.It's a beater with many miles and my cousin abused it but it's a fun bike to ride,just like I remembered it. Of course I couldn't keep my tools away from it and I tweeked it for my style of riding.First thing to go was the kick stand. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts

Would anyone know the seat post size for the 1989 Cascade?

I had to put the bike in storage soon after I bought it new. I cleaned out the storage shed two weeks ago and the bike was still there. I forgot I stored the bike away. I told my wife the bike had a rip in the seat so she threw it out with the post still attached. The original seat post was a gorgeous aluminum satin-luster-pearl finish.

The gum wall tires were rotted. But everything is in adjustment just like the day I bought it. I even have the original old/new too long 24-inch handlebar next to me now.

I've tried 27.2 and 26.8mm seat posts. They are too big. Anybody know the seat tube size?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My first mountain bike (unless you consider my Schwinn Varsity, which spent as many miles on singletrack as the road) was also a Nishiki Cascade, albeit the very first year--1986. It featured 15 speeds, a rear XC Sport rollercam, bullmoose bars, a stock sholder strap (with braze-ons!) and the Le Pree triple-pulley rear derailleur. I eventually snapped the downtube just under the headtube and went through several forks. The first picture was about three days after I picked it up as I had already snapped off the "composite" Suntour XC lever blades. I'm still looking for this model if anyone spots one!
And, no, the moon boots were not SPD compatible.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dark Mower said:

Would anyone know the seat post size for the 1989 Cascade?

I've tried 27.2 and 26.8mm seat posts. They are too big. Anybody know the seat tube size?
Dark Mower,I'll check my bike for you in the morning but I'm sure it's a 26.4mm or 26.6mm.
26.2mm would be what older bikes used around 1986.24.4 and 26.6 was common around 1989.Most of my bikes are around that year and they use these sizes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.