Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to have wheelset built and one of the nipple options are DT Swiss Pro-locks. Listed as having some bonding agent when assembled. Is this a good or bad thing ? Can nipples loosen ? I always thought you would want nipples seize free so they could be easily retensioned. Thanx

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Nipples loosen for one reason - they were never tightened sufficiently in the first place. It's been proved by many of us here many times over the years - correctly tensioned spokes don't loosen. The best thing is to use a good lube on the threads to enable correct tensioning and future retensioning. I use a dedicated thread lubricant - anti-seize. Permatex (ironic name eh?) made mine. Others here successfully use oil and many times Phill's is the lube of choice.

I think thread lockers, whether in the form of a pre-gooped nipple or a loc-tite liquid, is a crutch. Those things have got to contribute to spoke windup during future re-trueing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
A wheel built with proper tension and stress relieved will not have a problem with spoke nipples loosening.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
I haven't built too many wheels, but when I do, I grease every one of the nipple holes prior to inserting nipples (on the rim) and I put a small amount of anti-seize on the spoke threads so that I reduce the friction and (hopefully) reduce/eliminate wind-up. A good part of what I know about wheelbuilding came from Sheldon Brown and Mike T, and it all agrees with what I've learned from local shop wrenches that were good wheelbuilders.

I don't think I'd worry so much about the Pro-locks.

·
wants a taco
498 Posts
im with everyone here, proper tension and some type of lube on your nipples (insert witty comment here) when building will keep them from loosening.

Personally I have used boiled linseed oil with great results but their are a number of lubes that work just as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.