Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few years I have really dialed in my winter riding gear. My only remaining problem is nipple chafe. During a cold ride my nipples get hard ( I don't know the medical term for it, if there is one ) and then rub constantly against my base layer, usually a tight synthetic lycra based long sleeve. This causes some discomfort while riding, but its when I get in the shower later that the really painful stinging occurs in that oh so sensitive of areas.

I have read about marathon runners having this problem, I believe the solution I heard was to slather your nipples with petroleum jelly. I'm a bit reluctant to try this yet, as I'd rather not get vaseline all over my shirt. I have a pretty hairy chest, so tape or something like that is not an option.

Anyone else have this problem, and more importantly a good solution?

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Do you wear a Camelback? The only time I experienced this was with a new Camelback that I didn't have the chest strap adjusted properly. The shoulder straps were rubbing in just the right place over the nipplers, and they got sore as hell.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I am male, I assumed that would be obvious from the hairy chest part, but I guess you never know. No camelback, and it happens with various shirts, so its either bandaids / male pasties (ewww), or maybe I'll try the body glide, it looks ok and they have a picture of a soldier on their website. Hey if its good enough for a soldier its good enough for me, and it appeals to my macho side much, much more than wearing pasties.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
WTF

I don't get this nipple chafe chit!

I know a dude who gets this too, cracks the chit outa me I do feel for you guys! but dudes you really need to dig some trails and go put back some man hours! to much metrosexual ! LOL..

When we went bush it was talc and commando that saved out arses and our feet we toughened our feet up with methylated spirits for our new boots back in the day so we wouldn't get blisters!

after wearing wet boots during the day, it was dry socks at night! we tried to dry our wet socks on our houches @ night if not, back on with the wets ones for the day, no such thing a nipple rash, I never heard of it till MTBing!

I'd look seriously at what you're washing you're clothes in, too me its sounds like too much wash powder or type of powder!

When you're hot an sweating even in cold weather, the material is sweating out the contaminants of the soap in the wash powder causing a reaction to the skin!

chicks in my experience use a too much soap powder when washing, b the wrong chit
find a proper full 100% bio natural powder no made up crap full of additives you'd be surprised what's in most wash powders! and what they cause to the skin! and environment! being cyclists we should be aware!

It will be your problem, the thing is it gets on your skin and stays there later not always affecting it straight away! regardless of time of year and weather conditions!

May or may not but fair chance it is !

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Another thing you can try is some Skin Shield (or Liquid Skin). It would give you the same protection as a Band-Aid, but you can easily paint around the hairs, unlike a Band-Aid.

Also, a few folks recommended Body Glide. I've never tried Body Glide, but I do routinely use Aveno daily moisturizing lotion to prevent chafing. Since I need this stuff for dry skin in the winter anyway and it works so well as an anti-chafe lube, I've never tried any of the specific lubes. Anyhoo, I mention this for you or anyone else who might already have this stuff on hand, no pun intended.

-Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.