Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 203 Posts

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
EuroMack said:
I upgraded to SRAM 9.0SL shifters and rear mech, and they performed and felt much better. In fact, the shifters are working great 8 years later, even with worn out rear mech.
Same here. I had 8 speed Quartz shifters, and they were truly terrible. The shifting effort got to be near-impossible, and they were the reason I went to Sram 9.0sl shifters. Seven years later I still use those 9.0sl shifters on a regular basis. Just put two hours in on them today in fact. I've gone through two pairs of grips, and a few indicator housings, but otherwise they perform as new.

I'm no longer a weight weenie, but I am definitely interested to see this cassette in final form. I like the idea of multiple carriers for the larger cogs.

·
Super Fly
131 Posts
I love my sram xo grip shifters. Easy to know what gears your in. Very precise and no ghost shifting problems.

Tin

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
soon...

protocol_droid said:
i'm expecting them soon...and i definitely will post pictures once they arrive AFTER placing a classifieds ad;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Am I missing something? :confused:

This is waaaay heavier than the new token cassette at 150g

nino said:
i finally got my new prototypes today. here's some pictures on my scale:

11-32 : 180g
11-32 including aluminium lockring: 184g

11-34 : 194g
11-34 including aluminium lockring: 198g

·
Registered
223 Posts
EuroMack said:
Yes.

Ti is heavier and lasts longer than aluminum. Nino's cassette is ti. Token is aluminum.
Don't want to start a war with this is better than that...however I thought this was a weight (or lack thereof) forum.

Therefore if I am looking for a cassette in this instance based on weight, then I will want the lighter one (within) reason....shift quality, etc. In my case longevity (again within reason) is not really an issue. If this was the case, I would get an xt drivetrain and stay with it.

Back to the issue of the cassette. Can anyone comment on the token ?

Now, my understanding is that the token has some sort of a ceramic coating.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well token just came out with a 11-32, 11-34, and 12-xx (forget what) in a 9 speed tri metal that is purty light. Sounds like that's what you want but I cannot comment on how it performs.

I might consider one for next season. Could be a pita as it starts to wear out though.

I just invested in a 30 and 34 ti action-tec cogs for my two wheelsets to use with my DA cassettes.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
raceer2 said:
Am I missing something? :confused:

This is waaaay heavier than the new token cassette at 150g
i don't care about aluminium cassettes at all ! those "Token" are similar or the same than the KCNC and are out of aluminium regardless of what aluminium they use...it will still wear waaaay faster than titanium! only the 2 smallest cogs are Ti. i have the KCNC here in all sizes. i know what they weigh and i know what they are going to be able to do on the trails as well;)

if you want the lightest cassette then the only way besides full-carbon cogs which is the most useless anyway is the one i used to sell. with two Ti-cogs it weighs 135g. this is waaaaay lighter than the Token yet it is still no option for all those looking for serious DURABILITY! mine got a special hard-coating which really helped in the durability BUT it makes the cassette too expensive. this was not just some anodization but really some hi-tech stuff and really,really expensive. but the cassette indeed had better durability but still not what you would expect from a expensive product like it is. it also has 2 small titanium cogs so durability is sure the same if not better than the KCNC as well as beeing lighter...

but i have no intention to make the lightest possible cassette when it wears out in no time .that's really wasted money.aluminium cassettes on a MTB wear just too fast. Titanium is the way to go if you are actually riding your bike. for those who need a cassette just for the show i still have some of those light cassettes available but i can't honestly suggest them to anyone who looks to actually put some real mileage on them. i'd say don't expect to do more than 1000km with such aluminium cassettes.

pictured below:
Ninos 11-32 aluminium cassette: 135g
KCNC 11-32: 151g
KCNC 11-34: 177g

Attachments

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Can't believe folks would run an aluminum 9sp cassette, unless just for hanging on the scale purposes.

Maybe as a race only wheelset.

I see 5x or more out of my Ti cogs rather than alu on my SS bike. These are 2x as thick as what is on a 9sp cassette.

61 - 80 of 203 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.