Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm pretty much sold on the R.I.P. 9 FS from them, but sadly browsing their site is a PITA as all the links to the different pages are made using FLASH so the only way I actually even got to see the bike was through a direct link given here on MTBR. I think to be honest that it's very stupid to do this as it ads ABSOLUTELY NO CONTENT OR HELP to the site or it's design and IS NOT NEEDED, simple HTML would have gotten them the same place. Sorry I run Firefox and refuse to run I.E just to browse a site.

Another thing I don't understand is the use of jpegs for stuff that could be easily made in HTML e.g. the build kit listings. I run 1280 x 960 and can barely read them, would an HTML table have been so hard - Really? :madman:

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
LyNx said:
Sorry I run Firefox and refuse to run I.E just to browse a site.
I run Firefox and have absolutely no problems with their website. I personally think their website is pretty nice, and a positive refelction of their company.

FYI - you can install an extension called "IE Tab" which lets you open a page in IE inside a Firefox tab for those pages that just don't agree with Firefox.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't have a problem loading their pages, except that I DON'T install the Flash plugin since most sites use it for absolutely stupid things that have no need to be done in flash and could just as easily be done in HTML and make things a whole lot faster.

Thanks for the tip on the extension. Heck I even did up the HTML code for the X9 Build Kit if they want it.

Jdub said:
I run Firefox and have absolutely no problems with their website. I personally think their website is pretty nice, and a positive refelction of their company.

FYI - you can install an extension called "IE Tab" which lets you open a page in IE inside a Firefox tab for those pages that just don't agree with Firefox.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that I don't like the site, it's the use of FLASH where it really doesn't need to be used - I like the site fine, just if I install Flash to view/browse their site then all the other sites w/ way more flash crap will then be slowing down my loading times when I visit them.

scruffylooking said:
I also like the Niner site. I'm on FF or Safari 99% of the time.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm not a programmer or anything, but it seems to me that Flash, etc are all just part of the overall evolution of the 'net; if you aren't using a broadband hook-up and a reasonably powerful hardware, you are going to get punished as you surf. I guess that sucks, but the writing is on the wall...

I too use Safari (with default options), and while I like/prefer simple websites also, I realize that this is all just how things work.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
personally I dont give a rats @ss about websites, catalogs, pictures or any of the like. I bought my Sir9 b/c it's a well designed bike made from Reynolds tubing, and the guys at Niner put up w/ my phone calls. Performance and customer service are what sold me, not flashy pictures, or fancy web pages. You're buying a bike here, not a web domain. :p

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah I know that it's about the bike/builders but if you don't happen to live where 1-800 is free or at least if you have to pay you pay cents instead of dollars per minute then it's easy to pick up the phone. Also picking up the phone to "humbug" those guys :p does just that and interupts their work, much better to have clear info online that anyone - no matter their connection - can have easy, fast access to.

psychobillycadillac said:
personally I dont give a rats @ss about websites, catalogs, pictures or any of the like. I bought my Sir9 b/c it's a well designed bike made from Reynolds tubing, and the guys at Niner put up w/ my phone calls. Performance and customer service are what sold me, not flashy pictures, or fancy web pages. You're buying a bike here, not a web domain. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.