Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noticed that the rear shock on my RIP has around 1/2" of the bottom of the shock shaft that isn't used for travel. Aired the suspension down and cycled the suspension to full bottom out and don't use all the shock shaft.

When setting up the rear suspension do you base your sag setting (25-30% for the RIP) on the actual travel range of the rear shock (not including that last 1/2") or on the visible length of the shock shaft (including that last 1/2")? If you set it up based on the actual travel, then you obviously end up with a more firm suspension.

Picked up this RIP on closeout and I'm just trying to find my personal sweetspot. I know the sag setting is just a starting point, but I'd like to ride the setup that was recommended by Niner and then adjust from there.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Sag is just the starting point. You need to experiment with different pressures until you find what works with you. Sorry there's no real easy answer on this.

Tip: Don't obsess over getting full travel at the expense of performance. A lot of people run there suspension too soft to achieve this.

Tip: Sometimes running air pressure too low can cause harshness just as too much can. Less pressure doesn't always equal plush...if riding aggressively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.