Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Designated Bleeder
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been hunting for 29er frames for a while and narrowed down my choices:

Niner EMD9
Niner SIR9
Voodoo Aizan
Vassago Bandersnatch

I'm about 6 feet tall and usually ride an 18" frame. Both Voodoo and Vassago have 18" sizes. Thats a no brainer. Unfortunately, I seem to fall right in the middle between Niner's medium and large.

I will be riding this bike for aggressive XC so I definitely do not want the frame to be too big. Any one have any advice?

BTW, if anyone has any of these frames for sale, I'm interested...

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Email Niner.
They will happily give you the help that you need.
However, you will probably need to give them more info than just your height and current Seat tube measurement.
A good starting point would be the Competitive Cyclist sizing calculator.

·
Road Bike Review Member
224 Posts
SpecialK said:
So I have been hunting for 29er frames for a while and narrowed down my choices:

Niner EMD9
Niner SIR9
Voodoo Aizan
Vassago Bandersnatch

I'm about 6 feet tall and usually ride an 18" frame. Both Voodoo and Vassago have 18" sizes. Thats a no brainer. Unfortunately, I seem to fall right in the middle between Niner's medium and large.

I will be riding this bike for aggressive XC so I definitely do not want the frame to be too big. Any one have any advice?

BTW, if anyone has any of these frames for sale, I'm interested...
I am 6'2" and I think the x-large Niner One 9 fits me perfect. I am long legged and my center of bb to top of seat is 321/2". You should be on a large.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
ridenfish39 said:
I am 6'2" and I think the x-large Niner One 9 fits me perfect. I am long legged and my center of bb to top of seat is 321/2". You should be on a large.
Honestly, you have no way of telling what size he should be on based on what he has told you.
I had a heap of people telling me that at 6'3" I should be on a XL Jet9 despite me having had bikes with 24.5" TT's for my past 3 bikes and the sizing calculator's also saying that I should be on a bike with this same length TT. According to the Niner sizing chart I can fit either the L or XL.
Niner chimed in and told me that the L (24.5" TT) was the one for me to get.
I would be doubtful that the L is the right bike for him but without more info it is impossible to know for sure.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm 6'0'' with a 34 inch measured inseam and I just built up a Large EMD9 with a 100mm stem and 10 inches from the seatpost top clamp to the seatpost binder. Like you I was worried about the frame being too big but this feels just right. If I went for a medium I'd have had 12 inches of seatpost exposed and a stack of spacers under the stem. When I read the geometry chart it looked long but when I rode it, it was just right

I got my frame from Speadgoat for $350. They are all sold out but there is another dealer, I can't remember which, who advertizes here who has them for $369. Look around the sight, you should be able to find it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm patiently waiting to see what you think of the Large JET9 :D Personally I think it could go either way with you - L or XL - but I think you'll be happy with the Large. Stangely the JET9 L felt OK to me when I rode it :skep: but on my RIP9 it's definitely an XL for me.
TR said:
Honestly, you have no way of telling what size he should be on based on what he has told you.
I had a heap of people telling me that at 6'3" I should be on a XL Jet9 despite me having had bikes with 24.5" TT's for my past 3 bikes and the sizing calculator's also saying that I should be on a bike with this same length TT. According to the Niner sizing chart I can fit either the L or XL.
Niner chimed in and told me that the L (24.5" TT) was the one for me to get.
I would be doubtful that the L is the right bike for him but without more info it is impossible to know for sure.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
LyNx said:
I'm patiently waiting to see what you think of the Large JET9 :D Personally I think it could go either way with you - L or XL - but I think you'll be happy with the Large. Stangely the JET9 L felt OK to me when I rode it :skep: but on my RIP9 it's definitely an XL for me.
Cannot see it feeling any different in size to the past 4 bikes I have had with this same length ETT. :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you buy from Speedgoat they offer frame sizing (its like $150 but they credit it towards a frame purchase). I definitely recommend that because I am 6'-0" with a 34" inseam and I thought after reading all this I would need a large frame and they told me a medium which is what I went with and it fits perfect. Other posters were right on, its not just height and inseam. There are alot of other measurements and factors (like how you are positioned on your bike and what kind of trails you ride, etc.) that make a difference.

No offense to the the other riders here but consult with an expert before you drop some serious coin on a bike you'll be riding for years - you want to make sure you're happy with it.

Oh buy the way I don't work for Speedgoat or know anyone there - they just did a good job getting me on the right bike with the right components.

·
Registered
30 Posts
TR and Adoble are right

Short of being able to ride the different sizes, give Niner a call or let a bike shop fit you. Speedgoat seems to have done a good job with Adoble.

I'm 6' tall. For me it's a Medium SIR9. I rode a large but liked the medium better. I don't know my inseam or other measurements . . . you'll need to though if you talk to Niner or bike shop over the phone . . . here's something about that:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/html/fit/mtb_fit_details.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay... Seems I might be getting a 29er. Specifically I am looking into Niner, as our team shop sponsor carries them, but we will have to order before we get a chance to put our hands on them in person...

So, I have a few questions from those who have them, but especially for those of you who are smaller/lighter... I am about 5'-7 1/2", and typically ride 16" or 17" frames on 26ers. I'm about 145 lbs most of the year.

I know 29ers are typically a little longer than 26ers, and I'm comparing bikes, effective top tube lengths, and head tube angles (I think the steeper is better, esp for VA singletrack, tighter trails).

Here is my dilemma- I'm used to 26ers w/ 22.75" - 23" top tubes, with 100 or 110mm stems, which equate to the "cockpit" length (center of handlebar to center of seatpost on the horizontal) being about 27" - 27.5". In looking at various 29ers (Fisher, Niner, Salsa, Haro, Soma, etc.), the small/16" frames typically have 22.5" - 23" top tubes, but with slack head angles and steep seat tube angles that make the cockpit end up being around 26.5". With the Medium/18" frame range, the steeper head tube/slacker seat tube creates a top tube length of about 23" - 23.75", but cockpit lengths around 27.5" - 28". It seems most 29ers come with longer top tubes and shorter stems, too.

Observations:

I ride a Giant XtC with a long-ish 120mm stem right now, which has a ETT of 22.6" and a cockpit length of exactly 27". My 18" Giant Anthem had a top tube length of 23.4" and a 90mm stem, and I couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground in soft sweeping turns, I felt because I couldn't put enough weight over the front end.

I have ridden a Salsa El Mariachi 16" (22.8" ETT, 130mm stem), and even with a long stem it felt too short. Also, the same bike w/ 110mm stem, and it felt okay, but still a little short. I've ridden a C-dale Medium (22.75" ETT, 110mm stem) which seemed to fit okay, but when I stood up I felt like I was very far over the front wheel and the front end felt funky (kinda flip-floppy).

Dilemma:

Will a long top tube 29er be similar in weight distribution and front wheel traction to my long top tube Anthem? Will I be able to keep weight on the front end (I'm going SS here, so there's not as much concern about lifting the front wheel while climbing.)

Resarch:

I work in engineering and have drawn up some of the bikes in CAD using website info. The Niner Small w/ 23.1" ETT and 71/74.5 H/S angles w/ a 100mm stem appears to have a cockpit length (center of stem to centerline of seat tube on the horizontal) of 26.9". The Medium w/ 23.75" ETT and 72/73.5 H/S angles w/ a 90mm stem appears to have a cockpit of about 27.4". 23.75 seems really long to me, but a 27" cockpit to me feels short.

Question:

Is anyone here smaller/lighter and riding 29er? Which bike? What size? Head tube angle? What length stem? How do you feel about the handling? More specifically, does anyone have a Niner in Small or Medium that could confirm my calculations (please include stem length!)

I have emailed Niner and they do not have any they can measure right now, but they have suggested w/ my XC race background w/ 3-4" saddle-height difference flexibility that I could ride either, that I should get the Medium.

Thanks in advance!

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Sweeney said:
I'm 6'0'' with a 34 inch measured inseam and I just built up a Large EMD9 with a 100mm stem and 10 inches from the seatpost top clamp to the seatpost binder. Like you I was worried about the frame being too big but this feels just right. If I went for a medium I'd have had 12 inches of seatpost exposed and a stack of spacers under the stem. When I read the geometry chart it looked long but when I rode it, it was just right

I got my frame from Speadgoat for $350. They are all sold out but there is another dealer, I can't remember which, who advertizes here who has them for $369. Look around the sight, you should be able to find it.
Also 6' with 34 inch inseam. Large SIR 9 fit like a glove. A friend of mine rides a Medium and I feel cramped on it when I throw a leg over it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think you are over thinking it. Are you worried that the bike will be too long? I was but I followed the advice of my friend who is a dealer in NJ when I went for a large. It fits like a glove and rides like a dream. Check my first ride review below. The geometry is different on a Niner than a 26er. If the guys a Niner recommend a med. I'd go with their advice.

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
Yeagermeister, I am 5'10" and have a medium Jet9 and am using a 100 stem and while I think you could ride a medium or a small, I think you would fit better on the small. From the center of the top of the seat tube to the center of the top of the steering head is a smidge less than 22.5 inches.

Special K, you could definately go either size, but I would probably recommend the medium.

To Both: my overall opinion is that Niner top tube lengths are plenty long certainly not short. So if in doubt, I would go the smaller size on a Niner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah- with my experience w/ 23+" frames (26ers), I'm hesitant to order before riding something with a similar top tube length. Right now I've ridden two 22.8s, a 22.75, and a 24.5 in a 29er, and I've not ridden anything in the middle. I sat on a Voodoo Dambala today, which has a 23.0" top tube, but felt very long w/ a 110mm stem.

I'm really wondering about weight distribution, and whether a larger frame than what I'm used to riding will be a little difficult to control, as was my 18" Anthem.

I've been thrown off by riding the Salsa, which feels very short even though the ETT is longer than my current XtC.

Sweeney said:
I think you are over thinking it. Are you worried that the bike will be too long? I was but I followed the advice of my friend who is a dealer in NJ when I went for a large. It fits like a glove and rides like a dream. Check my first ride review below. The geometry is different on a Niner than a 26er. If the guys a Niner recommend a med. I'd go with their advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yourdaguy said:
Yeagermeister, I am 5'10" and have a medium Jet9 and am using a 100 stem and while I think you could ride a medium or a small, I think you would fit better on the small. From the center of the top of the seat tube to the center of the top of the steering head is a smidge less than 22.5 inches.

Special K, you could definately go either size, but I would probably recommend the medium.

To Both: my overall opinion is that Niner top tube lengths are plenty long certainly not short. So if in doubt, I would go the smaller size on a Niner.
Can you measure from the center of the handlebar to the centerline of the seatpost on the horizontal? That is exactly the setup I am looking to measure.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.