Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I posted a review of my Waltworks and SIR 9 over on the 29er forum if you are interested.

I'll put up a couple of pis as well.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

The wheelset in the above pics are XT 756 hubs, DT champion spokes and Salsa delgado disc rims.

They have now been replace by my new set of "light" wheels, XTR hubs, Wheelsmith butted spokes and degado race rims (polished). I wanted a silver theme, hence the silver Mary bars, silver stem and post, and polished rims.

I'll attach a couple of pics.

Low rider and woody, one of the things that attracted me to SS was the clean simple look, now I don't own a geared MTB and haven't looked back.

Thanks for the compliments.

Rob

Attachments

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
She’s looking even better with the new wheels Rob! :thumbsup:

I love being able to roll down the trail with no rattles or clunks, skipping chains, gear choices… it really is a terrible addiction! :p

I must admit I haven’t really been overly interested in the whole 29er’ thing, but I seem to be lurking in the 29’er boards more and more lately. Along with the other “advantages” it really does make a lot of sense for single speeding. :)

Happy trails.

Dave.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ooooooh - I like. With some semi slicks that would make a damn fine wet weather commuter. This Sydney weather of late has got me thinking I'd like a SS to handle my commute when it's wet and nasty. I'm tossing up between rigid mtb, SS road frame, SS cycloX. A rigid steel SS 29er with disc brakes could be just the ticket....

HillBilly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave - I went for the 29er SS thing big time, I haven't had a 26er SS, but the move from 26er full sus to 29er hardtail then to rigid was easier then I thought. I think 29ers are great for SS

HillBilly - I commute from Hornsby to St Leonards in Sydney (about 20 K's) on my Karate Monkey SS most days. I think a rigid 29er SS makes a great commuter, can use discs or rim brakes, any type of bars and then change the gear ratio and take it to the bush. Can even put a sus fork on if you need it.

I wanted big fat tyres for my commuter as I go off gutters and dirt at times and I didn't want pinch flats, so the KM was the ticket. And it is solid as hell, never wear out. I use Schwalbe 2" big apple tyres, 44-18 gears and whatever I had lying around for the rest. Works great.

I think a Niner is a bit too good for a commuter but if you want to it would be very nice.

Low rider - just do it, you will love it.

I'll see if I can post some pics of my KM, they are crappy , sorry about that.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I now have V brakes and Mary Bars.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know what you mean Rob about having a commuter that is a bit too nice. My commuter (Beecroft to the City) is a road bike - it's way too nice to cop the abuse it gets hence my original comment because I'm looking for something else to take the punishment - especially when the weather is not so nice. I often add a bit to my commute and head out your way on my way to work - adding a Bobbo loop or a gorge or two.

I moonlight as a roadie but my heart is in the bush!

HillBilly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey No Way Ray,

nice looking Niner, what stuff and ratio are you running on it.

Rob

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ratio is 32;17, It is perhaps a bit high, but I'm used to it.

Bits, wheels are cannondale hubs laces to Sun DS2 rims
stylo ss cranks, surly cogs
Easton bar, lock on grips, bontrager stem
Picking up a moots Ti post tonite, the saddle is a Rav-X cro mo rail model, it's comfortable on really long rides.
Brakes are Deore Hydro.
Tyres are Exiwolf up front, Ignitor out back. Thinking I may soon try out a Nevegal up front.

It's not really a bling build, just bits that work well and will handle being used. My riding level has stepped up a notch, since I've started riding it, and I feel I've not yet reached the bikes potential.

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
I'm pleases to announce I've ordered a kermit green sir9 and rigid fork. It'll be set up as an SS. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good on you, I think you will be happy with our SIR9, I love mine.

Rob

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
A package arrived - SIR9!

Months later the frame has arrived (no fork yet) kermit green was unavailable so I went for tang orange which will match the salsa nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
steel is real

Very nice... congrats :thumbsup:

Looks like it will have a nice "compliant" ride with the rear stays and steel.

Orange looks great.

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
Aah! So this is the Steel SS Rigid 29er you were talking about Hud??

I like the colour. Don't know about them skinny tubes and their metallurgic properties though ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts