Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of picking up an AM hardtail that I can also run SS.

I know there are a few out there and seen a few industry reviews but have not found much on user reviews in the Niner Forum or elsewhere about the Niner ROS so I'm curious if anyone in the AZ forum has one and can share their thoughts on the ride.

I currently have a FS 29er bike and a Niner SIR 9 Rigid SS. I find that the SIR 9 is awesome for XC but the 80mm Rigid fork does not inspire confidence on more aggressive chunky trails which is why I'm thinking of going to an HT with slacker head angles and +120mm front suspension that I can also run SS.

I am very familiar with the Niner EBB and have had no issues so not so concerned about the EBB vs. Slider solution.

Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts

I know there are a few out there and seen a few industry reviews but have not found much on user reviews in the Niner Forum or elsewhere about the Niner ROS so I'm curious if anyone in the AZ forum has one and can share their thoughts on the ride.

I currently have a FS 29er bike and a Niner SIR 9 Rigid SS. I find that the SIR 9 is awesome for XC but the 80mm Rigid fork does not inspire confidence on more aggressive chunky trails which is why I'm thinking of going to an HT with slacker head angles and +120mm front suspension that I can also run SS.

I am very familiar with the Niner EBB and have had no issues so not so concerned about the EBB vs. Slider solution.

Thanks all.
Just throwing it out there in case you are willing to consider a different frame... The Nimble 9 is an awesome AM hardtail for AZ terrain, plus can do SS too! A tiny bit cheaper than the ROS9. Really mutes all the trail chatter. My first slack HA, short-stay bike and it is definitely a hoot to ride!
20140217_230301.jpg

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
For a bit more $$$ check out Ti 420
Titanium bling.

Pivot LES is also pretty aggressive.

BTW, I was actually entertaining the idea of riding with niner rigid fork. Have you had any issues with it?

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
I really like the Pivot LES but I wouldn't qualify it as an AM hardtail. Would running a 120mm+ fork void the warranty?

·
Always in the wrong gear
521 Posts

Thanks all.
I am curious about your experience with the 9'er EBB. I'm looking to replace my current one that loosens up all the time , with EBB2 that niner makes now.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I am curious about your experience with the 9'er EBB. I'm looking to replace my current one that loosens up all the time , with EBB2 that niner makes now.
I went from the EBB1 to the EBB2 recently. So far no issues whatsoever. Very easy to adjust too.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been running the EBB1 for 3 years now. Did have some creaking/slipping issues at first then I used the Pipe Joint compound solve to set it up and have been creak free ever since.

The EBB1 was redesigned to have a 2nd point of contact to secure to the BB Shell and my understanding is that it works very well.

I am building up a new SIR with the EBB2 and plan to set up with the joint compound solution. I will report back on my experience with the EBB2.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like the Pivot LES but I wouldn't qualify it as an AM hardtail. Would running a 120mm+ fork void the warranty?
I had the same question and called Niner to see if I can run a 120mm on a bike designed for 100mm. Answer I got was "As a Niner Employee" I can only recommend you use the size fork intended for the bike, running any other fork will change the handling and put stress on the frame/joints and void your warranty if it were to fail due to incorrect equipment use."

I posed the same question to my LBS and the answer I got was -- changing the length of can affect the geometry and handling and put stress the at the headtube joints. However, he went on to say that if you are talking about 10-20mm difference, increasing the SAG will compress the fork more and put less stress on the frame and effectively perform as a 100mm would.

As a result, I am planning to run a 120mm fork on my SIR knowing that my next bike will be the ROS and want to be able to swap the fork over vs. buying a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts