Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I know it's not apples to apples by any means but I figured I would post up here to maybe get some more knowledgeable advice. Definitely pretty new to the gravel world.

so I currently have a 2021 Kona Rove DL and have put very little miles on it, wanted to eventually put a carbon fork on it. Just happened to have a good deal pop up on a 2021 Niner RLT9 in my area.

The question is… What are the major differences of the two bikes Not in terms of components as I No the Niner has the upper hand on that. More curious in terms of the difference of what their built for maybe geometry wise or how they ride differently from one another. then at the end of the day really just curious if it would be a big upgrade to go with the Niner or just stay with my Kona?

Thanks And I will apologize now for the beginner questions LOL!

·
Registered
377 Posts
It would be helpful to know what you're looking for out of a gravel bike. I was looking for a relaxed touring bike, that I could do long road miles and backroad exploring on and ride fast with friends. I needed a bike with lots of hard points to connect racks and bags to if I was going to go for a solo tour overseas.

Back in February I was faced with a similar choice, I was looking at Niner RLT, Kona Rove and a few other bikes. I knew I wanted a gravel bike, not just for gravel riding, but for touring. I had dreams of going over seas and touring a country by riding from one location to another... a personal grand tour. (That's dream has been put on hold).

The Niner, and the Kona Rove (and Libre) where near the top of the list. A few Salsa models also drew my attention. Not having a dealer on my island meant I was relying heavily on reviews and forum posts. I settled on Niner RLT, in steel, the 4-Star (2x) build. I updated my order to the RDO (carbon) model, while the bike was on backorder. I got my RLT in the closing days of July. I've put over 400 road miles on it. I've yet to make the trip up to the north shore to test it out on gravel. I love it. I try to ride 3 times a week (20 miles a trip).

The only changes I've made was swapping the wheels out for some Chris King built wheels and I replaced the saddle, as the OEM wasn't working for me. I felt the OEM wheels would have been fine... They seemed the weak part in the build, like that's where Niner was saving on cost.

This doesn't answer your questions. I guess before we (the forum) can make a suggestion, we need to know about what kind of riding you see yourself doing, and what you want out of a bike. It would be nice to why you haven't been riding the ROVE.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Water Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

I posted this picture already, but wanted to share again.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Delay gratification and try bikes. Think about the function you need. Now I believe Roves are 650B. I chose my Sutra Ltd. over Rove ST for fit and the parts. It's for sale because I ride the Routt 45 (Moots) and Fargo for touring. After fit I chose the Sutra because there was no desire to want to change forks or anything major. You can't beat the value of OEM. I think one bought the wrong bike when they want to put expensive parts on a fairly new bike.

My friend here has the steel Niner that in some ways is not too different from my Routt 45 but lower stack. We mix road and dirt. They have been perfect bikes. This was a 76+ mi ride with maybe 15 mi off road.

@travisvt visit the bike insights and geometry geeks sites to compare what you have to others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.