Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RIP9 VS YETI SB95 cheapest version

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is the best bung for your buck? Which one rides the best? Any real riding differences between the new RIP and the older design?
Price difference is around $300 due to tax on the Yeti.

Thank you for your feedback!

RIP9 1- Star Specs:$2999
Fork: Rock Shox Sector RL Solo Air, Tapered 130mm, 15mm Maxle, Headset: Zero Stack 44mm top, 56mm bottom
Brakes: SRAM Elixir 1,Black 180/160mm Rotors
Wheels:American Classic Terrain 29, QR15 F / 142x12mm R
Tires:Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.25
Handlebar: Niner Flat Top Alloy Red Graphic
Stem: Niner Alloy Red Graphic
Seat Post: Niner Alloy Red Graphic
Grips: Niner
Saddle: WTB Volt Sport
Shifters: SRAM X7 2x10SP
Front Derailleur: SRAM X5 10SP Direct Mount (low) Top Pull
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7 Type 2 Medium Cage 10sp
Chain: SRAM PC1031 10sp
Cassete: SRAM PG1030 11-36t 10SP
Crankset: SRAM S1000, 38/24t
Bottom Bracket Design:SRAM GXP
[/FONT]

Yeti SB95 comp specs $2900
Frame Material: aluminum
Suspension: Switch Technology
Rear Shock: FOX FLOAT CTD Trail Adjust
Rear Travel: 127 mm
Fork: FOX 34 FLOAT CTD Adjust
Front Travel: 140 mm
Headset: Cane Creek
Shifters: SRAM X7
Front Derailleur: SRAM X7
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 10-speed
Crankset: SRAM S1000
Bottom Bracket: GXP
ISCG Tabs: removable ISCG mount
Pedals: not included
Cassette: SRAM 10-speed
Chain: SRAM 10-speed
Brake Set: Avid Elixir 5
Rotors: Avid
Handlebar: Truvativ T30
Grips: Yeti lock-on
Stem: TruVativ Stylo T20
Saddle: Yeti Branded WTB
Seatpost: TruVativ Stylo T20
Seat Collar: Yeti clamp-on
Wheelset: DT Swiss M1900
Tires: Maxxis

·
Registered
427 Posts
Drivetrain on the Yeti is slightly higher spec, though the Niner has a Type 2 RD. The wheelsets are a bit of a toss up, but I'd probably take the Niner's American Classics over the DTs on the Yeti. Yeti has better brakes, though neither is especially good in that department. I would probably swap the brakes out of the box on the Niner.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
I voted for the Rip because I ride a Niner, but either will be great rigs, I'm sure. If you're buying from a LBS, get them to swap the brakes on either bike to Shimano-whatever level you can afford. They should give you some credit for the take-offs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I voted for the yeti because I rented that bike in NC and thought it was just amazing......I mean it was the best bike I had ever ridden....it was the level up from that one but the biggest difference to me is the brakes....the one I rented had XT's. But that bike just went.....as long as you did your part that bike went.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Partusa, I'm pretty sure the frames haven't changed in the last few years. If they have, it's minimal and not worth the huge price premium (to me) for what you get.

I also noticed they only have XL's available, so it might not matter. Either way, I still stand by my original comment that a $3k bike these days has X5 and X7 components is ludicrous.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Partusa, I'm pretty sure the frames haven't changed in the last few years. If they have, it's minimal and not worth the huge price premium (to me) for what you get.

I also noticed they only have XL's available, so it might not matter. Either way, I still stand by my original comment that a $3k bike these days has X5 and X7 components is ludicrous.
The 2014 frame is hydroformed and matches the RDO frame's specs more closely than before. It is pretty different than the 2012 frames. Subjective though to what is worth the price difference. I am playing this mind game right now myself. My current bike is so crappy, a 2012 Rip would be a huge upgrade. Is the 2014 price jump worth it? Not sure.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
......My current bike is so crappy, a 2012 Rip would be a huge upgrade. Is the 2014 price jump worth it? Not sure.
Correction: the 2014 is airformed, the old version is the hydroformed. There are some differences with the old frame as you mentioned. I am not willing to spend $3000 on an X5/X7 bike. Niner should call that version RIPoff instead of RIP9. Ha!
I would look for a used 2014 RIP9. In my experience bikes in the range of $3000 MSRP, drop around $600-1000+ after a year of use.
There are tons of RIP9 used (old frame) for around 2k or lower, so be patient and wait. I'm bikeless, since I sold my only bike last week, that's why I am not able to wait too much, but if not I would wait for the right bike at the right price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.