Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone thrown a leg over both?

Same cost on either frame. Niner has a hair more travel and slightly steeper angles.

Niner is more apt to be quick and easy with warranty.

I rode a Specialized today and was pretty impressed.

Anyone got something to add?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Niner Warranty Service

I haven't ridden either frame, but you mentioned Niner's warranty service as a consideration. I can say I was very happy with Niner's prompt warranty service. My LBS notified Niner of my cracked SIR9 . . . shipped it to Niner . . . then received and built my new frame back up within 2 weeks. I only missed one weekend of riding.

·
Registered
276 Posts
the FSR 29 easily has the coolest looking XL frame I've ever seen with all those hydroformed curves. I think the slack fronts on the Specialized and Fisher bikes are probably a good idea, but I'm a n0ob. Wish I could try out the Niner bikes but they're hard to find around here.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
i would put spech's warrenty against any other, and they would win hands down.

we just got a guy a new complete bike, because his fender on his globe(that transmit power to light) was broken and there weren't replacements. yea, complete new bike.

we got another guy a completely new bike from a broken dropout before too.

specialized warrenty rocks ANY other company.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Kind of new to 29 and riding a Niner EMD now when not on my Enduro SL. I've been looking longingly at the Stump fsr 29, but the 69.5 head angle w/100mm fork is probably the biggest difference from the rip and frankly it scares me away. The 71.5ha/100mm on the rip leaves the door open for longer forks - not sure that's the case with the fsr. But I could be all wet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rip 9 vs. Specialized FSR 29

The RIP 9 offers several advantages. While the Stumpy provides good suspension performance through the full range of travel, and good pedaling, the RIP 9 also offers a fully active rear end, excellent pedaling in terms of efficiency; the big difference is the amazing small bump compliance the RIP 9 offers. You will really notice the difference climbing, on the brakes and through rougher rocky and rooted sections, especially going into corners. The Niners are a bit ahead of the game when it comes to geometry. They have their steering angles and cockpit dialed, with shorter chainstays, for excellent handling characteristics. Finally, reliability with the Niners is excellent. They have a proven record of providing a sturdy and long lasting frameset. This is a smaller brand, producing fewer numbers. The Niners are more exclusive and you can expect very personal service from this company through the best Niner dealers.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
ferretwiggle said:
The RIP 9 offers several advantages. While the Stumpy provides good suspension performance through the full range of travel, and good pedaling, the RIP 9 also offers a fully active rear end, excellent pedaling in terms of efficiency; the big difference is the amazing small bump compliance the RIP 9 offers. You will really notice the difference climbing, on the brakes and through rougher rocky and rooted sections, especially going into corners. The Niners are a bit ahead of the game when it comes to geometry. They have their steering angles and cockpit dialed, with shorter chainstays, for excellent handling characteristics. Finally, reliability with the Niners is excellent. They have a proven record of providing a sturdy and long lasting frameset. This is a smaller brand, producing fewer numbers. The Niners are more exclusive and you can expect very personal service from this company through the best Niner dealers.
dont get me wrong, I love my Rip, but other than the chainstay, most of the pluses you mentioned are the result of the suspension & brakes which depend on who builds the bike
I agree with it all, but it is dependant on what fork and which brakes

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
ramshackle said:
Kind of new to 29 and riding a Niner EMD now when not on my Enduro SL. I've been looking longingly at the Stump fsr 29, but the 69.5 head angle w/100mm fork is probably the biggest difference from the rip and frankly it scares me away. The 71.5ha/100mm on the rip leaves the door open for longer forks - not sure that's the case with the fsr. But I could be all wet.
I know what your saying, I put a 130 wb on the Rip and it noticeably slowed the steering
now I have a 120 reba and its damn near perfect although the ha is now 70 its fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.