Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NORCAL 29er rider
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new Silver RIP 9 (med). Most of my riding is aggressive cross country, Salmon Falls, china camp, Mt. Tam, Tamarancho, Annendale, but will also be hitting Downieville and Tahoe. I have an 09' Rock Shox Reba Race. The spec says it will go to 100 or 120mm. What or the pros/cons of going 120mm?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I recently swapped out forks on my RIP 9. I had the F29 set up with 100mm. I sold the fork to my buddy and replaced it with the F29 120mm version. The bike seems to ride better with the 120mm fork except for really steep technical climbing. The front end seems to wander on the steep stuff. The 100mm fork was better for climbing but not as good every where else.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I went from a DUC (113mm travel) to a Fox F29 (120mm travel) and it totally transformed the RIP in to a single-track eating maniac. Definitely go with a 120mm, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm sticking with the 100mm on my RIP because of the steep techy climbs I encounter in the Northern Virginia area. I had a 120mm Manitou on my old 26er and would have to dial it down to clean many of the tougher climbs. I've never been riding my RIP thinking I need another 20mm of travel.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Most folk seem to run RIP's with forks in the 120-135mm range. If you are worried about the steep climbing thing get the new 120mm Reba with U-turn and dial it down for climbs. Not sure that it is available yet but I have been hearing "soon" for a while now.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Ordinarybikes said:
The bike seems to ride better with the 120mm fork except for really steep technical climbing. The front end seems to wander on the steep stuff. The 100mm fork was better for climbing but not as good every where else.
I second that. On the steep 30% climbs one ought to lock the rear out and lean over the front otherwise it does wander around like a mouse sniffing for cheese and wanting to hide out from domestic 60 lbs lynx or bobcat, recently so popular in US. Big bike and big cat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.