Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm not going to ask about the frames, because I have to figure that out myself and I think there is already lots of good info. :)

I want to know what people think of the Niner rigid fork. I keep thinking I would get a custom fork, but those matching fork and frames are so beautiful!

Anybody try one and go to a different rigid fork? What do you think of the ride and steering?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
it is a cool fork for sure.

The only considerations are if you prefer/want a shorter fork (they are suspension corrected) and/or if you are really weight conscious, in which case a carbon fork may be the best option. But yeah, good forks.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody find the trail figure to be too high? I think it's probably a little over 80mm...

frame have A-to-C 470mm 72* HTA

so with the Niner fork they are approximately 71* HTA with Niner rigid fork @ 40mm rake...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Anybody find the trail figure to be too high? I think it's probably a little over 80mm...

frame have A-to-C 470mm 72* HTA

so with the Niner fork they are approximately 71* HTA with Niner rigid fork @ 40mm rake...
Actually, our frames have a 72* HTA based on an A-to-C of 490 (unsagged 80mm travel Reba, which has a 39mm rake). This is why we worked on building a rigid fork around these numbers and have a longer fork with a similar rake as the Reba. We prototyped different lengths and rakes and found that keeping it consistant with the design of the frame worked best.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Niner Bikes

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
I'm riding one on my Soulcraft. Fork has a nice ride to it. I think I would still like it to be a tick shorter. I Bet it is the perfect match on a Niner frame.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Okay, I'm not going to ask about the frames, because I have to figure that out myself and I think there is already lots of good info. :)

I want to know what people think of the Niner rigid fork. I keep thinking I would get a custom fork, but those matching fork and frames are so beautiful!

Anybody try one and go to a different rigid fork? What do you think of the ride and steering?
I rode one for a while and it is fantabulous. The control is perfect. The comfort is excellent. The niner fork is springy and it is long.

I do not think you can get a better ride by spending any amount of money on a custom steel fork.

Right now I'm using a Pace carbon fork. It's a bit more money and lighter. It's also a bit more comfortable cause carbon takes the vibes.

francois

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:

The steering with the Niner rigid fork on the SIR 9 frame is ultra precise. The fork matches the frame really well, with the same sort of 'spring' to it as the frame has.

There is a small amount of flex under heavy braking but it feels 'natural' and not "noodly"

The fork paint matches the frame exactly.

Whilst the Niner fork is heavier than the Pace carbon 29'er fork which I also tested on this frame, it certainly does the job, and looks great.

If you are used to riding a rigid bike, then the Niner steel fork will feel good.. :thumbsup:

R.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
francois said:
I rode one for a while and it is fantabulous. The control is perfect. The comfort is excellent. The niner fork is springy and it is long.

I do not think you can get a better ride by spending any amount of money on a custom steel fork.

Right now I'm using a Pace carbon fork. It's a bit more money and lighter. It's also a bit more comfortable cause carbon takes the vibes.

francois
Francois, How is the steering with the shorter carbon fork? What's the rake on the carbon fork?

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
What A-to-C was the Soulcraft made to be?
I just looked on the BLUE PRINTS and it shows 488 with a 38 offset, 72.5 head angle, trail is listed at 76.3 It is Ok with this fork I would like to try another fork with a shorter AC just for a side by side. This fork rides really good, prolly the best ride quality for steel I have ever ridden

Attachments

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Francois, How is the steering with the shorter carbon fork? What's the rake on the carbon fork?
The steering is slightly quicker with the Pace carbon fork, the front end of the bike sits a little lower and the carbon tends to soak up the 'vibes' better than the steel fork does.

The rake on the Pace 29'er carbon is 42 mm.

However, don't hit the carbon legs against a rock... :D :eekster:

R.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had my S.I.R 9 SS with Niner rigid fork for about 9 months, and I love it!!
Here is the list of bikes I've owned, and it's better than all of them
CAAD 3 'dale hardtial geary
GF Sugar 1 dually
Scott MC 30 dually
Cannondale Scalpel 2000 dually
Santa Cruz Chameleon rigid SS *2 ( one with Pace carbon fork )

This thing rides smoother, and makes me smile more than any other bike I've owned, including road bikes!!

The frame and fork have an awesome zing, but are still precise, and light

Get one!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am on the verge of ordering either a SIR9 or an MCR9, and would love to go with the rigid fork: the LBS suggested that the rigid would only be appropriate with a SS set-up [SIR9 only, obviously] for someone "trying to make a super-light bike," and that I would be much happier with the REBA. I am coming from road and rigid cyclocross only, and plan to mostly ride on fire roads, with limited single track. Thoughts?

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Major vote for the Pace. I rode the Niner fork prior to the Pace. On the Small size, we get 1degree slacker HA, so the 23mm shorter AC makes up for that 1d nicely. The Niner fork is ~1050g and comes color matched to the frame. The Pace is ~740g cut, and is not color matched.

The ride on the Pace is better, as it really does damp out the little stuff.

For FR and only some ST, the rigid is the way to go. Only on washboard downhills, or rough downhills do I feel the need for the Reba.
I've gone to Oregon Middlefork, Downieville, Tahoe Punisher, Mr Toads, all with the rigid Pace on the SIR9 and prefer most of that with the Pace, rather than the Reba. Only when the going gets fast, does the Reba excel, and in that condition, the bike is a faster package.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
jpatkinson said:
I am on the verge of ordering either a SIR9 or an MCR9, and would love to go with the rigid fork: the LBS suggested that the rigid would only be appropriate with a SS set-up [SIR9 only, obviously] for someone "trying to make a super-light bike," and that I would be much happier with the REBA. I am coming from road and rigid cyclocross only, and plan to mostly ride on fire roads, with limited single track. Thoughts?
If you are used to rigid road and cyclocross, and will be mainly riding fire roads, then the SIR 9 steel rigid fork will be the ducks guts.. :thumbsup:

R.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Steve at niner has it right, the fork is perfect for thier frames. I run them on a Rig and a Paragon and they do work well especially at high speed they could be a little shorter for low speed handeling on MY bikes.
I prefer the steel due to complete trust in it and absolute durability, especially with all the rocks here in E Tennessee!
Something about the weight limits, delicate surfaces, and excluded warranty if placed on a fork mount rack has steered me away from things like the Pace fork.

patkinson, For what you plan to do you would be plenty happy on either bike with that niner fork!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.