Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Niner RIP9 (R.I.P.9)

I am considering to swap my Gary Fisher Paragon 29'er for a full suspention 29'er.

Who has made the best design for such a bike? The RIP9 from Niner has caught my attention. Any views on this?

All responses are appreciated

Anders
Norway (cold and snowy right now)

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Theres this..

Roil said:
I am considering to swap my Gary Fisher Paragon 29'er for a full suspention 29'er.

Who has made the best design for such a bike? The RIB9 from Niner has caught my attention. Any views on this?

Anders
a side by side review of the RIP and other 29ers.

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/29er/

Also try usiong the search function using "RIP" as your query. Also look at the right hand side bar of the 29er forum for some other 29er specific stuff..

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Roil said:

Who has made the best design for such a bike? The RIB9 from Niner has caught my attention. Any views on this?

Anders
You mean R I P 9? Never heard of a RIB9.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
JSD303 said:
I'm not sure, but I did hear that McDonalds partnered with Niner to make the "McRIB 9" available for a limited time only! mmmmmmmmm Ribs.
Gives new meaning to "Supersize me." ;)

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I feel partly responsible for where this thread went, so I'll do my part to get it back on track. (partypooper).

The RIP9 is a very capable bike, as you have have read about in the shootout above, as well as any Interbike reviews from last Sept.

It climbs pretty well for having so much suspension travel in the rear. It begs for a longer than 100mm fork. The bike rides plush. The bike still steers quick, provided the stem isn't too long. I feel the bike is a good standard for a trail or allmtn 29er. I know those terms are often the butt of some jokes, but it does describe a certain class. To me, it is like the Titus Motolite of the 29er world.
You'll want to put some meaty tires on this bike, as it can handle a lot. The linkage is a little complicated, and does hang low, so watch what you go over.

A medium frame is right at 6.6lbs, so not light, not heavy.

It doesn't handle as quick as a Ventana El Rey.
It doesn't climb as well as an Intense Spider 29er.
It is the rival to the Ells Elvolve; just as plush, doesn't bottom out, steers about the same.
Of the 3, the RIP9 is the most confidence inspiring when pointed down techy sections.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
rensho said:
I feel partly responsible for where this thread went,
I think the degenerates of the 29er board can plunge into inuendo without your pointing the way. I'm just sayin' - it's happened before..... :ihih:

rensho said:
It doesn't handle as quick as a Ventana El Rey.
It doesn't climb as well as an Intense Spider 29er.
It is the rival to the Ells Elvolve; just as plush, doesn't bottom out, steers about the same.
Of the 3, the RIP9 is the most confidence inspiring when pointed down techy sections.
I've read all the reviews, reports on the RIP9 and Spider29er; read the 29er shootout, I'm still on the fence about which &#$%[email protected] one. I need test rides of Large sizes. :incazzato:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the contribution - even the funny one's - hahahaha

I have read some of the testreports last night (late) - will read more today - very interesting stuff.

Oslo - Norway is currently on -12 deg Celcius an excellent weather for some bike dreaming - and riding - if you have the propper tires.
I have acutually given up searching for a propper set of 29'er wintertires and bought myself a set of 26'' wheels and fitted them with Nokia W296 or whatever they ar called - nice tires - no slip even on the most slippery surface. My Gary Fisher becomes ofcourse a bit of a low rider with these wheels but is still a better solution then no propper wintertires at all.

Lack of propper tires might keep me away from an expensive 29'er project - but I am still convinced it's the best solution for a 6'4" guy of 92kg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.