Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

can anybody tell me the maximum seat post insertion into the frame, measured from the end of the tube?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Been messing with this very issue as I've been trying to figure out just what size dropper post wiull fit for my frame and seat height. I've got the new alloy, size large, instead of the RDO, but since the seat tube measurements for the two are basically the same, this should at least give you some ballpark idea.

Was gonna use a Thomson dropper, but I couldn't get enough of the post into the frame to get my seat height low enough for the correct height, but the length of the Thomson that could go in the frame was 212mm. I had this all the way in without it bottoming. I substituted a rigid post that got about 216mm of post into the frame before bottoming out. Had to cut about 1.5cm off this post to get my proper seat height.

Since the large size RDO seat tube measurement is 50mm longer than the medium, I'd guess that the max insertion would be 216-50=166mm, approximately.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Shure. My heigt is 178cm, so size M would be the right one, I guess.
What seat height do you run ??

I have 2 friends with med Rip9 RDO & both have gone with the 100mm travel 355mm reverbs.

One uses 725mm seat height & the other is quite a bit less is I remember right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What seat height do you run ??

I have 2 friends with med Rip9 RDO & both have gone with the 100mm travel 355mm reverbs.

One uses 725mm seat height & the other is quite a bit less is I remember right.
My seat height is 765mm.

I really would like to use a new dropper post from a German manufacturer with 170mm drop.
But for that I would need 185mm insertion with my seat height.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Which size? And what is the maximum insertion for the post?
Forget about asking him the Alloy is nothing like the RDO in that area so it won't help

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
My seat height is 765mm.

I really would like to use a new dropper post from a German manufacturer with 170mm drop.
But for that I would need 185mm insertion with my seat height.
Ok 163mm insertion on my friends Med Rip9 RDO & that's including the clamp height.

Now being carbon & that being the none molded side it may not be quite the same frame to frame but you are not going to get another 20mm

·
Registered
920 Posts
Which size? And what is the maximum insertion for the post?
Don't know where you got that quote from, but that was me. Sorry, I thought I had specified, but I guess in editing and changing some stuff around I left it out.

It's a size large, but as I said, the seat tube measurements between the alloy and RDO Rips are practically the same. I could get about 216mm maximum post into the large size frame, and since the seat tube on the mediums is 50mm shorter than the seat tube on the large, I'd guess that the most you can get into the medium size frame would be 166mm, give or take a few.

My seat height is 72.5cm, so I should probably be on a medium frame, but I have a longer torso proportionally so I feel better on the size large. The bike shop where I test rode one also said I looked better on the large than the medium, and from what I can tell riding it, it feels about the same fitwise as my large Stumpjumper did. Since I do have the short seat height on the bigger frame, I need to go with a 100mm dropper post as well, in order to get enough of it into the frame to get to my proper height.

·
Phatt Tire Luva'
172 Posts
Rufus:

How did this workout for you? I have the exact same setup issues/choices as you, only I'm on an XL instead. My RIP will be my 5th Niner - and they've all been XL. I am trying to figure out whether I can go with a Thomson or not, as they use a 400mm post. I'm going to contact Niner in a bit here - and get a definitive answer. Just curious to hear how your scenario played out.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Rufus:

How did this workout for you? I have the exact same setup issues/choices as you, only I'm on an XL instead. My RIP will be my 5th Niner - and they've all been XL. I am trying to figure out whether I can go with a Thomson or not, as they use a 400mm post. I'm going to contact Niner in a bit here - and get a definitive answer. Just curious to hear how your scenario played out.
Well, the XL frame gives you 50mm more room to play with than the large, maybe a bit less, as you've got the radical bend in the tube and whatnot. As I said before, with a rigid post, I was able to get about 216mm of that post into the seat tube. According to the image I've inserted below, the Thomson max insertion is 212 mm. The entire post is, as you say, 400mm in length.

So let's insert that post all the way in. 400-212 = 188mm, so you've got 188mm of seatpost above the seat collar; the length of the post collar(25mm), the full travel length of the post(125mm), plus the saddle cradle to middle of the seatrail distance(apparently, 38mm). If you take your current saddle height, and then measure from the center of the seat rail cradle to the top of the seat collar(the collar on the frame, not the collar of the seatpost), and that distance is greater than 188mm, you should be all set.

I went with the 100mm KS Lev, and have about 12mm of post showing above the seat collar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts