Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just finished putting together my new 0ne9er. and thought I would give you all a look. I still need to dial in the stem height and I will be replacing the Forte stem (just lying around the shop ) for a Thompson one, and shortening the brake hoses. All in all I am totally impressed with the bike. Chris @ Niner was really helpful in selecting the frame and parts, this is my first 29er and between you guys and Chris I think it came out pretty good. The only big problem I had was trying to Stans the Kendas, I thought they would easy, but I finally gave up after 2 days. The Kenda's sidewalls had a lot of holes, every time I would seal some up and pump up the tires new holes would appear. I have never had it happen before but maybe it's the tires I got. The new Stans tires sound cool so after these wear out I will give those a try. Heres a few pics.

Brian
[/IMG]

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
tubeless

I just had a battle royal with a set of non-UST Kenda Nevegals on my 26er in getting the sidewall pinholes sealed up. (was on UST rims, though) Took about 3-4 days of messing around with them before they'd hold air overnight. Perhaps it would have been quicker to do a couple of short rides to stretch things around some and accelerate the process. One tip I picked up after surfing for advice was scrubbing off the tire interior's mold release wax/oil before you start. I had just about gotten things squared away by the time I heard it, but I think it is a real good idea. Also think the tip of riding or leaving them sit with tubes in first can be helpful to get the tire to pump up easier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the only one

Cool I am not alone. Thanks for the tips. I am running tubes in the wheels now but I maybe I will try to Stans them again. I havent ridden Kendas before so I cant wait to try them out.
Brian

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Stan's Tips

Brian,

It was nice working with you and your bike looks great! ;-)

Some tips with the Stan's. I have been using Stan's for a few years now. I have found that if you wipe the interior of the tire with denatured alcohol first to remove the casing wax/silicone it makes it much easier for the sealant to work. Also take out the valve stem (on Stan's rim strips) when you are inflating for the first time this allows more air into the tire faster. The last tip is to bounce the wheel on the ground like a basketball while rotating it will help seal the holes before you go riding. Make sure the tires you are using are ok to use with Stan's as well.

Have fun on your new ride.

Chris
Niner Bikes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.