Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got this naked Karate Monkey in front of me.
I have a Saint triple, heavy like a cast iron skillet, on the workbench.
I also have a set of MikeC wheels coming in, with the heavy unicycle rims.

(6'5", 300 permanent lbs)

I just read about Niner's new steel, vertical dropouts 29er frame, the M.C.R. 9, and I am interested.

It's the perfect frame for me: 1.) geared 2.) steel 3.) hardtail

As long as it's: 4.) clydeworthy for XC + unforseen AM

At ~$800, is it "not cheap" enough to be strong AND light?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
copy n' paste

"At your weight it will depend on the frame you are choosing. The XL will handle your weight but you should be over 6' 1" to ride that frame. If you are in the med size frame, I would say it will not be suited for your weight."

-Chris @ Niner

·
Registered
774 Posts
Bean

You can't go wrong with the Niner frame. I have been riding a XL SIR9 for a few months now (extreme xc use) in rigid mode, and it is a fantastic frame. Has a lively feeling without being flexy and has a compliant ride that just can't be put into words. I am running it in SS mode with 180mm cranks, and when I stand and grind the bike just powers ahead incredibly (I'm 265 without gear). The MCR is basically the same frame as the SIR, just geared and no EBB. If I were building a steel, geared ride and not going custom, the MCR would be at the top of my list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.