Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Padre said:
Both good. Niner is Alu Vassago is Steel.

Choose geometry that suits you best and frame material that you like more.
Alu = livelier Steel = softer
* MCR's are Steel.

- OP, get the one that fits. Both Co's make nice bikes. :thumbsup:

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Padre said:
Both good. Niner is Alu Vassago is Steel.

Choose geometry that suits you best and frame material that you like more.
Alu = livelier Steel = softer
You been drinking that home made stuff again padre?

Shame on you....:nono:

R.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I ride a bander.... but, I have ridden the MCR...
The bander suited me based on the geometry.. it's got a long and low stance..
Atheistically the Vassago's got the Niner beat too, IMO...
Both companies only design 29's... so, you know they know what they are doing!!

·
prefers the wide stance
147 Posts
power-san said:
Atheistically the Vassago's got the Niner beat too, IMO...
gotta say my root beer mcr looks pretty *****in, only bike i've ever had that i got particular about putting ano bits around...

While I'm seriously contemplating a Jabber for a SS, My 1x9 MCR geo gets me between the wheels [so comfy and natural feeling compared to any 26]. the more i ride it, the more i love it. I have a hard time even wanting to get on my 26" ss anymore, even though its a great bike.

both great options, niner is around .8 lbs skinnier, a bit more dough.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
love my previously owned bander so far. that rootbeer mcr is a splendid looking ride.....that's for sure.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Mcr..

MCR rider here...so i'm biased...:D

Reynolds tubing, fine thin steel that is a pleasure to ride on. The frame rewards you with a beautiful spring and compliancy, it feels great.

Geometry is spot-on and the frame handles everything with relative ease. Can be set up as SS, geared, HT, front suss, or rigid.

Niner customer service is "killer" and the guys there all ride what they sell.

R.

plantme777 said:
I am looking for opinions, hopefully from those who have ridden either or both of these.
Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks...

·
Registered
200 Posts
More votes for the Niner MCR, just got one a month ago and the rider is sooo smooth. Carbon bars and seatpost add to the flex of the steel frame. The big wheels really do roll over obstacles with alot more ease. Bike weighs in at 25 lbs so it really accelerates well and climbs great.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Another vote for the MCR. Best frame I have ever ridden: comfy, fast, perfect geometry (for me), and the color is awesome!

Best way I can describe the ride is it accelerates like a 26er with all added benefits of a 29er.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a Sir9 and recently got a Jabberwocky... I know, the OP asked about the Bander and the MCR, however the Sir and the Jabber are basically the same frames. The Jabber handles a little faster than the niner, and climbs a lot better (the rear wheel just hooks up, and does not spin!!). The Niner rides just a touch smoother... can't really tell the difference unless you ride them side by side, set up identically (I have both set up exactly the same to switch back and forth at 24 hour races)

The Niners bottom bracket area is not nearly as stiff as the Jabber... it kind of sways back and forth a little when you are really pushing hard... however I did not really notice that until I rode the Jabber...

The paint on the Jabber holds up way better than the niner!!! They are both excellent bikes, however when I ride them sidexside I prefer the Jabber becase it is a little faster in pretty much all situations (hard to believe for a frame that cost 1/2 as much!!!)

Customer service at both companies has been fantastic... cool people to work with (I have had to warranty my niners a couple of times for broken frames, and they just took care of the issue without hassels!!!) I have not had any issues with the Vassago, however when I have called they have been excellent (I have a new Optimus Ti coming... WOOO HOOOO!!! so I have spent some time on the phone with them!!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent Banter!

Excellent banter...Altough I was leaning towards the Niner for many reasons, I am particularly persuaded in the direction of the Vassago by mention of the more stout BB area. I am 215lbs and no amount of finesse can compensate for the abuse leveled on my poor bikes. Any additional opinions, given the clydesdale nature of the rider, are appreciated. I have been on 26" full suspension (all mountain/freeride style) for the last 7 years or so. Therefore this category of frame and setup is fairly unfamiliar. I would like to be able to have both wheels off the ground at times although most of my riding will be fast hard trail riding...Once again I really appreciate the active forum, and sincere opinions...

·
prefers the wide stance
147 Posts
tamen00 said:
...The Niners bottom bracket area is not nearly as stiff as the Jabber... it kind of sways back and forth a little when you are really pushing hard... however I did not really notice that until I rode the Jabber...

The paint on the Jabber holds up way better than the niner!!! They are both excellent bikes, however when I ride them sidexside I prefer the Jabber becase it is a little faster in pretty much all situations (hard to believe for a frame that cost 1/2 as much!!!)...
GREAT:thumbsup: to see this comparison. I absolutely love my MCR as a 1x9, and have been agonizing on what type of SS to build. Though the SIR was not really in the running, the Jaber is (as well as some others). I'm pretty sure you've just convinced me to get a white one...thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.