Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to build up a Geared steel framed 29er and am torn between a Siren John Henry and a Niner MCR.

Looks, I like the Siren better,

The Sirens are made in USA,

The Siren also come in more colors.

The Niner MCR is sold by my LBS

The Niner Has a rep as a good frame

NIner MCR is a dedicated geared bike frame (the Siren has the sliding dropout and I already have a Single Speed 29er I ride to work everyday on).

Both bikes fit some fat rear tires no sweat.

Thanks in advance guys
Steel freak:crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Everything else being equal, or close to it, I'd personally skip the sliding dropouts on a geared bike, AND stick with my LBS, especially if they have gone to the mat for you on anything over the years.

But the Siren definitely has a higher cool factor!

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reply to Cosmo's comment, the same shop will sell either frame, actually one of the guys there feels the MCR has too much BB flex we have also spoke of having Independent Fabrication Build me a 29er Deluxe, (I own a IF Crown Jewel Road bike and love it).

Reply to Steve N's comment, a custom geared JH would be perfect. I'm gonna contact Brendan about that and maybe a custom color. (I'm under the Imeprssion the JH only comes silver right now).

2 things that are holding me back from an IF are that the rear isent set up for a big tire (I like 2.3+ tires) and that the IF are really expensive. (worth every penny but I had a lot more money back when IF built the crown Jewel for me).

The Rootbeer Niner MCR would be cool but I will be the first to admit I'm not Impressed with the paint and overall finish. (Its certainly no IF). But the LBS will sell me one under $800. Options, options.
Steel Freak:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Siren sounds better the more I look into it, customization, the curved top tube, etc. The John Henry will cost more than a Niner MCR but I think I can swing it.
Steel Freak:crazy: :crazy:

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
Steel Freak said:
The Siren sounds better the more I look into it, customization, the curved top tube, etc. The John Henry will cost more than a Niner MCR but I think I can swing it.
The JH may cost (not that much) more than the MCR but think about this, you're getting a hand built frame by a passionate US builder whereas the MCR is Taiwanese made (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Plus there's the customisation options you can't get with a Niner...

Swing it... If I were in your position I'd be going for the Siren...

·
Dirty Tuesdays
2 Posts
Thanks for asking my question!

I just joined to ask the same question and throw a Scott Querring in there also as an option. Any suggestions? I hadn't been considering siren as serious as IF and Niner.

Tanks, Tons

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't started the project yet

I haven't made the jump yet, I have a guy who might buy the frame and for to my Ellsworth Moment and might use that money toward my 29er project. Kinda interested in a Steel IF Deluxe 29er frame but I belive the tire clearence is a bit tight on that one. So far I'm most interested in the John Henry set up geared in a custom color.:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Wow...

Steel Freak said:
I never really considered a Siren. I checked out the page. THe JH is $1000 and the Niner is $850. That is not much of a jump, considering its handmade made in the US with options for PC color and logo color. The Niner color choices don't really do much for me, but that is not a deal breaker. I don't know if sliders are better or worse than the EBB (comparing it to a SIR9 for my case for SS use) but with what I've seen of EBBs, I'd be willing to risk sliders. EBBs kinda scare me a bit, with the slipping and creaking and all. Has anybody here had issues with sliding dropouts? I would imagine there may be an issue with working loose or something, but I really haven't heard of this happening. Seems it would be easy enough to fix on the trail if it happened, unlike EBB issues.

I'm probably still looking at a Singular Swift for my price range, but if I somehow find a bigger budget to blow, I'll have to check the JH out more closely.

Beautiful bikes.

·
Leg Shaver
563 Posts
just my limited info facts as I too am looking at steel hardtails again myself

"all things equal"?

JH $995
MCR $799

MCR 853 Reynolds main tubes with stay as a Proprietary mix?
JH all together "proprietary mix" no specifics on man Tubes as far as I know???? what ever that means.

I do not see the Paragon Sliders as a big deal. Another typical slot yes. and I'd go paragon over EBb if that is an option but that is just IMHO

JH curved TT allows for more stand over technically. Might allow you to run a bigger frame for a longer top tube if that is your fit desired

I don't put a lot of stock into weather tubes are welded in the US of Asia but that is me

Paint is a big factor for me anyway and siren seems to have more appealing options to personalize which is nice but not significant

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been dreaming of a 29er, and have decided to go steel. Of all the brands I look at, I go back to these 2 also. If I was able to pull the trigger tomorrow, it would be the Siren.

I have 5 friends who own Sirens, and they are all happy with their bikes. 3 own the Trauco, 1 has the Song and the other has the 6 x 9 version (forget what it's called). They all love their bikes and say the bike has enhanced their riding ability. They also went for custom builds. A custom build by Siren takes a long time but it's worth the wait. Not sure how much time it would take for custom color and geared only drop out only.

I also have a few friends who absolutely love their Niners, but none have the MCR.

I think it comes down to personal taste. Both will be built well. When you add the "Handmade in USA" factor and custom flair of the Siren, I think it takes the cake.

Not sure I'm helping anything, but just throwing out that Siren has a good reputation for quality bikes in my town.

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hard to Decide

I ride a single speed Specialized 29er to work everyday in Phoenix, it has sliding type rear drop outs that have held up to about 1500 mi of riding on and off road without a hitch. No funny noises no slipping.

I think the Siren is defiantly worth a few C-Notes more than a Taiwan Built MCR the comes in only two not so great colors. Question is should I Have IF (Independent Fabrication) Build me another custom frame? It will set me back even more money but my now 10 year old Crown Jewel is incredible. I need to shoot them an E-mail regaurding tire size, but now we are talking double the Money of an MCR and a fair amount more than a John Henry.

Steel Freak:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds like you have already decided on the Siren.
Ask yourself if you're really going to remember you spent an extra 200 a year down the road? I'm biased as I have a JH but I cant think of anything the mcr offers that the JH doesent other than its a bit cheaper.

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah at this point I would not chose a Niner over a Siren. $200 bucks is not really deal breaker money on a good frame. I plan on doing a few races a year on this project in AZ and California (Mt SAC). This bike will be built off most of my Ellsworth Moment's parts, I will be taking the Moment out next weekend for some of the Last rides in a five year period.

Gonna probably have the Slippery Pig Bike Shop in Phoenix build this up for me, Gonna reuse the king hubs, the XT crank, Hope brakes with new pads and rotors. and run Stans Flows for rims.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Siren

I'm sold on Siren for sure. You get a hand built US frame for a few dollars more than a mass produced root beer float.

If you want the custom IF type treatment, Brendan can hook you up full custom including tubing changes, finish, custom geometry, fit, rack mounts, extra water bottle mounts, Rohloff provisions, whatever you can dream up. The price for custom is unbelievably cheap, and turnaround is faster than any other custom I can think of.

Mine should be on a truck in a matter of days. I'll build it, and give a full ride report as soon as it hits my porch. :thumbsup:

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've probably Insulted the Siren Builder by compairing the Siren to a Niner, I will probably have it custom and have Eric from Slipery PIg in Phoenix Size me up.Heck I might as well have rack mounts put on as well. I really like that curved top tube Tony Ellsworth says (you dont get a bike to standover but it's nice to have a bit of clearence. I have a very good fitting Specialized 29 er single speed as a base line I ride daily. A good starting point.
SF :crazy: :crazy:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.