Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks,

Both of these frames have caught my eye for this years build and I'm wondering what other peoples thoughts are concerning the differences or pros and cons for these frames.

I live in SE Michigan and we have a lot of tight twisty single track. No long climbs to speak of but plenty of roots and rocks. I'm 38 years old, 6'4" and 230lbs and try to get out about 4 to 5 times a week for an hour or so ride.

I really like the look of the Swift and it would be my first choice but I won't be able to test one out before buying so that's why I'm asking. Are there toe overlap issues? Do the frames run a little small for their sizes? Things like that.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
A closer comp would be the swift to the SIR9 as both have EBB's, but that's not what you asked. I haven't compared the geo's on them, but that's easy enough to do, just open up the spec's on both and compare. I'd say the biggest advantag to the MCR is the frame material is a higher quality (Reynolds 853). The biggest advantage to the Swift is the EBB so you can go SS or geared, plus you can adjust your BB height. Both makers have taken toe overlap into consideration, you should be fine unless you have clown feet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if you really like the look of the swift, just go for that. i have 2 niners and they are great bikes/frames but those singulars do look the part (i've seen lots of them) and i've only ever read good things about them. both makes are highly regarded in the 29er world, so i think think a test on either would just confirm thats the one you want. what i'm trying to say is you can't go wrong with those two:)

·
Registered
662 Posts
As a VERY satisfied Swift owner I'm a bit biased - though I will say that if you want to put a Fox on it - there are some downtube clearance issues... so I ended up - very carefully - grinding off part of the cable guide AND getting a +5 headset cup (Cane Creek) and it's fine... if you're running a Reba or Manitou you're fine.

The standover height of the swift is tall... some might say too tall for me - though I barely notice it now. I'm just under 5'11 with a 30" inseam and the med fits nicely.

The Swift handles beautifully - switchbacks, babyheads, whatever the Colorado trails have thrown at this bike it has handled with the same ease...

Good luck.

Steve

·
openwound
580 Posts
I have only just built up my swift and have one ride thus far. It's a nice riding bike, but the only 29 inch bikes I'm comparing to are my Fisher Rig and 293. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and am on a large. I'm using a nice, short stem and the bike fits me well. It's not the lightest frame but it's also not super spendy.

As stevereeneo points out, there's the slight disappointment with the fork clearance, but perhaps they'll work that out in v2. I haven't gotten my +5 crown race yet and may have to resort to the cable guide removal, too, which I'm not terribly excited about. If you're willing to run a Reba then you shouldn't have any clearance issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input folks

I'm glad to hear from some happy Swift owners and unless the XL frames are on back order with long delivery times I'm almost certainly going to order one up.

That's a bummer about the fork clearance. I'm planning on running a rigid but I like having options. Doing a bit of rework is a bummer but not enough of an issue for me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have an MCR and it is one fine machine. I think the best descriptions of a bike is that it dissappears beneath you.
That is one thing that the MCR does best. It won't get in the way and is all day smooth.

Because I can, I have a Titanium Lynskey. If I could not I'd have the MCR, same feel only slightly heavier.

(I especially like the look of the IMBA edition)

·
Registered
367 Posts
sounds like you and i have alot in common. i am 34 yrs old, 220lbs and 6'4.5" so i need an XL frame, i ride mostly in SE michigan (pontiac, poto, highland) and i just went through the decision process you did and picked up a Niner MCR XL.

OK i wasnt trying to decide between a swift and an MCR but i was looking at my options for steel HT 29ers and i also picked up a carbon rigid fork for it.

all i can say is if you can wait for a couple months (not exactly riding weather in MI anyway) til i have all the parts and have it fully built i would be happy to let you ride it and see if it is something you like.

if you cant wait a couple months it still might be fun to swap bikes to compare and see the other ride is like.

cheers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after thinking on it a bit and after some of the replies here I decided to pull the trigger on the Swift.

I called up Marty at The Prairie Peddler and placed my order. Btw, Marty was a very helpful guy to deal with and easy to talk too.

Thanks for the offer honkonbobo. It's pretty cool when someone you don't know is willing to let you take his bike for a spin:) I ride Stoney Creek, Addison, and Holdridge quiet a bit and on rare occasions will hit Pontiac Lake although I'm planning on hitting Poto this summer. When biking season comes around I'd love to meet up and swap bikes for a lap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.