Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey People

Going to pull the trigger on 29er steel rig. But I need some feedback...

I am 1.88 meter tall, 93 kg. Also want to run it geared.

Niner MCR or On-One Inbred ? I like the niner allot but the price might ambush my plans. Then there is the On-One Inbred... Seems to be cheap, compared to the niner, and that is not a bad thing :) But I do not find allot of reviews of the bike or allot of information about the company on the web. So would like to know from the people that rides them...

Ciao

nardusg

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have an On-One Inbred set up as a singlespeed and have nothing to complain about. It is a decent cheap frame and most people who have one like it. The Niner MCR is a much more expensive frame with a higher grade steel and thinner tubing. It is probably a lot lighter. I've read some complaints about the MCR being rather flexy for heavier riders, but at your weight it should probably not be a problem (a small amount of flex is generally considered a good thing in a steel frame and is called compliance). The Inbred should be stiffer, though.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You won't go wrong with the Inbred; it's a reliable and sorted frame. The MCR will be lighter with more 'spring'. Rear wheel removal will be easier on the MCR,but that's not a reason not to get the Inbred. Inbred would allow you to easily run ss if you wanted to.

The money you save by getting the Inbred could be put into better wheels.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Depends on your geometry. I do not fit well on the inbreads. The Niners fit me better.

I would go MCR, but there are people here that have gone the on-one route for fit, avoid messing with EBB's on a SS set up, and cost.

I think the MCR frame is lighter and 853 reynolds vs. vanilla 4130 steel which there is nothing wrong with that....

If I was to decide between both frames and have extra cash for bette wheels, I would go on-one + nice wheel set.

If money is no object, then start the bling fest....

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I had an Inbred. It was just OK: heavy (6.1 pounds for an XL), and didn't have that nice springy steel feel that everyone is looking for (at least, compared to the Gunnar Rockhound that I also had at the time). But it handled OK, on the quick side, and was generally pretty well thought out (decent eyelet configuration, good tire clearance), although I didn't like the short head tube.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have owned and ridden both in the past nine months.

The Niner rides much better as it is made from a superior steel. The geometry on both bikes is virtually identical, so I can't understand why anyone would choose one over the other because of fit or handling.

I returned the Niner because it would not hold it's seat post. This is a very common problem with them. The OnOne was much harsher, but at least I could ride it without continually dismounting to reclamp the seat post over and over. The seat tube length is longer on the OnOne and it holds it's post.

So the Niner was useless because of it's seat tube and the OnOne was no smoother than an aluminium bike, so I ended up on a Salsa Big Mama.

Out of the two, I'd take the OnOne, but only because it holds it's post. If I went down the HT path again, I'd be looking at the KHS Tuscon or the Tuscon copy from Bike Island. Hard to believe the great value of a Curtlo aswell.

Good luck deciding.

·
Love,peace and baby geese
118 Posts
another good reason not to buy Niner

CoastieTX said:
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the MCR's sliding seat post can be cured with a few drops of blue loc-tite. At least that's what worked on mine - and it hasn't moved in almost a year.
The frame cost 800 bucks and it needs loc-tite to hold the seat post. Thats terrible.

·
Registered
257 Posts
treesmasher said:
The frame cost 800 bucks and it needs loc-tite to hold the seat post. Thats terrible.
Lots of people experience post slippage, and it's not always the frame's fault. In fact, the Thom$on posts are notorious slippers. The fact of the matter is different frames, seat posts and clamps are manufactured to different tolerances, and some just plain interface better than others.

While I'm sure I could have found a clamp and post that wouldn't have slipped with some trial and error, I took the easy and cheap route and just applied a little lock-tite. Works like a charm...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hello again Coastie.

I remember corresponding with you at the time and appreciated it. I guess I agree with Treesmasher as I really love my steel and wanted to take a long term view of the frame. I understand that everyone is different and will draw line in a different spot according to their own view. I just lost my trust as far as longevity was concerned and had truely had a gut full of dismounting over and over. I just couldn't knuckle down and climb for more than a few minutes and felt that to have to use lock tite wasn't good enough.

I'm glad you are satisfied and enjoy the bike. It certainly rode very well in between adjustments. All I'd add is to remove the post regularly to ensure it is not fused to the seat tube. You probably already knew that, though, so happy cycling mate and see you around the forum next time.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
treesmasher said:
Slippage is very common on a lot of frames and I have found it's mostly due to the seatpost and not the frame. Hairspray will also fix it.

OP: The MCR has better steel. It is dearer for a reason.

That said for the money the Inbred is a great frame. I'm suprised you cannot find info about it as there is heaps of threads on MTBR giving it praise. Just search it, especially in the 29er and SS forums.

I think you can't go wrong on either frame as long as you understand you are getting what you pay for, like all bike parts. The Niner is a great frame in it's price bracket and so is the On-One in it's price bracket. Get whichever fits ya budget.

·
Registered
257 Posts
MagicCarpet said:
Hello again Coastie.

I remember corresponding with you at the time and appreciated it. I guess I agree with Treesmasher as I really love my steel and wanted to take a long term view of the frame. I understand that everyone is different and will draw line in a different spot according to their own view. I just lost my trust as far as longevity was concerned and had truely had a gut full of dismounting over and over. I just couldn't knuckle down and climb for more than a few minutes and felt that to have to use lock tite wasn't good enough.

I'm glad you are satisfied and enjoy the bike. It certainly rode very well in between adjustments. All I'd add is to remove the post regularly to ensure it is not fused to the seat tube. You probably already knew that, though, so happy cycling mate and see you around the forum next time.
Yup, I now remember us PMing each other about the slipping post issue. As someone who's had to return a bike, believe me, I can relate. I don't get on the forums enough to remember everyone...

I don't deny my bike had the slipping post issue, but honestly, I haven't even thought of it once until today when I read this. That's how much of a non-issue it's been since I "fixed" it.

I've never ridden an Inbred so can't make an honest comparison. But I can say I am still thrilled with my MCR and it's nothing but smiles every time I ride it. It's a very smooth, fast, and supple ride with classic lines that'll never go out of style. It'll be a bike I doubt I'll ever get rid of, and if that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is.

Now, if Niner will just start making them in nice colors again...

·
Registered
473 Posts
nardusg said:
Hey People

Going to pull the trigger on 29er steel rig. But I need some feedback...

I am 1.88 meter tall, 93 kg. Also want to run it geared.

Niner MCR or On-One Inbred ? I like the niner allot but the price might ambush my plans. Then there is the On-One Inbred... Seems to be cheap, compared to the niner, and that is not a bad thing :) But I do not find allot of reviews of the bike or allot of information about the company on the web. So would like to know from the people that rides them...

Ciao

nardusg
I have an Inbred, carbon fork, my friend has a Niner MCR, steel fork.(no sliding seatposts here)
Being both about the same size, we change bikes every now and then.
The Niner is a bit lighter, and feels more nimble.
The Inbred has a bit more stability, is a bit less nervous.
Hard to say if the Niner is worth the extra buck.
But when you're on a budget, the Inbred is the best choice.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
ee ay ess said:
I don't know if this would matter w/ the slipping posts, but would it make a difference if the seatpost clamp was QR or not?
Clamps are more secure. I used a Surly Constrictor which is not very blingy but for tall/heavy dudes it's a great product.

There's a long thread in the NINER forum about the slipping and a number of great solutions in it.

I've had an Inbred and MCR. Inbred rode really well for the $$$. However the Headtube is pretty short (needed a lot of spacers).
The Niner is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I believe there is only one company that makes the correct size seatpost clamp for a MCR and that is DKG. Sure, you can use others and get by, but the niner made the seat tube outer diameter 29.6 for whatever reason. Why?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.