Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a thread a while back that discussed this but have been unable to locate it again so here we go....

I have a Sir 9 and I am running the Niner rigid fork with a King headset and a Thomson X4 stem. After every two or three rides I notice the headset is loose again. Most likely attributed to the stem slipping since the stem holds the compression on the headset.

Has anyone else experience this and if so would going to a Thomson Elite solve the problem? The steerer clamp on the X4 is nominal for weight reduction so I am wondering if the beefier Elite would hold up a bit better.

thanks

gordy

·
ridin' Mary
359 Posts
Do you have a little bit of the steerer tube poking up above the stem? I've found that clamping any stem at the very edge of the steerer tube leads to a weak hold on the tube. I set my bikes up with a small spacer above the stem so that the stem clamps onto the meat of the tube rather than on the very edge of it to avoid stem creep.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The above tip is great. Also clean the steer tube and stem clamping area with rubbing alcohol to take off any grease. Apply a bit of chalk and that should eliminate slippage. Make sure you're a torquing the stem bolts to proper specs.

Chris
Niner Bikes

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've found that the star nuts don't get a good grip on the inside of the steel steerer tubes, like they do on aluminum ones. When you tighten the top headset bolt it pulls the star nut upwards. I had the same problem with my steel Niner fork and King headset.

·
wawe member
892 Posts
BWG said:
I've found that the star nuts don't get a good grip on the inside of the steel steerer tubes, like they do on aluminum ones. When you tighten the top headset bolt it pulls the star nut upwards. I had the same problem with my steel Niner fork and King headset.
Note that an 1-1/8" aluminum steerer uses a different size star nut than an 1-1/8" steel steerer. A steel steerer tube has a thiner walled tube thus a larger inner diameter and requires a larger star nut, same size as used for an 1-1/4" aluminum steerer. (1-1/8" Aluminum steerer uses same size as a 1" steel steerer)

Ryan

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OhNooo said:
Do you have a little bit of the steerer tube poking up above the stem? I've found that clamping any stem at the very edge of the steerer tube leads to a weak hold on the tube. I set my bikes up with a small spacer above the stem so that the stem clamps onto the meat of the tube rather than on the very edge of it to avoid stem creep.
Thanks for the replies. I have a 10 mm spacer above and below. Plenty of gap between top of steerer and top of 10 mm spacer. Also I have de-greased stem and steerer and torqued to proper specs ...... .still slippage.

I will try the chalk as suggested by Chris.

Thanks again for the replies.

PS BTW I totally agree all high end headset should come with 1-1/8 & 1-1/4 starnuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.