Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· I am Walt
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
Fuel80inSM said:
have read some reviews that said the bar was pretty heavy and just too wide. Others feel the same way? if so what are some good recommendations for a bar to put on a r.i.p.? I do not want a riser.
I've got a RIP and am happy with the Niner bar. I was originally going to sway it out, but MeanTodd at webcylcery talked me into keeping it and I'm glad he did. Yes, it's wide, but it feels great and natural.
 

· In FTF We Trust
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
I would imagine that anyone looking to buy this bar is buying it for the width. Another option (with a standard 25.4 clamp) would be a Titec Flattracker (on sale at pricepoint.com for $13), has good width and 9 degrees sweep.
 

· Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,130 Posts
Cut er down!

The Flat Top 9 was designed to be cut down. They made it as wide as they thought any sane person would want. You can always take some off, it's a little harder to make 'em wider after the fact, ya know?;) :D

Weight-wise they are going to be piggish at full length. A little more in line with a standard riser at a cut down length. 31.8mm doesn't help either. I have these on an Inbred and left them at full length. Great for SS-ing! I call them my "B-52 bars" cause they look like the monster wings of that famed aircraft. :p

If light, swept back, and standard clamp diameter is what you want, with a reasonable length, get Salsa bars. New 17 degree ones are on the way, but the 11 degree ones are quite nice and available. Also in 31.8, if ya swing that way! :)
 

· i don't give a shift
Joined
·
870 Posts
They are a bit on the heavy side. I was going to leave the bar at its original width. It felt pretty comfy just holding it in the air, but once I put it on the bike and rode out of the saddle for a bit, it didn't feel quite right in my shoulders. I cut it down to 660mm. That's the good thing about a wide bar - you cut it down to the width you need.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
I sent an email to the guys at Misfit to ask about the weight on their bars. The reply I got was "don't worry about the weight...the bars work great - you won't worry about the weight once you've tried them". I guess I'll never know because I don't like the idea of ordering something from someone so rude. If a customer wants to know the weight then you tell them the weight.

Too bad too...i like the looks of the FU2.
 

· Glorified Hybrid Owner
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
Vecsus said:
I sent an email to the guys at Misfit to ask about the weight on their bars. The reply I got was "don't worry about the weight...the bars work great - you won't worry about the weight once you've tried them". I guess I'll never know because I don't like the idea of ordering something from someone so rude. If a customer wants to know the weight then you tell them the weight.

Too bad too...i like the looks of the FU2.
Ah, give Peter a chance. He's not rude, just Canadian. :thumbsup:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
rockhound said:
Ah, give Peter a chance. He's not rude, just Canadian. :thumbsup:
Didn't realize that was a trait endemic to Canadians. :D

I may still end up ordering one and if I don't like it then I can sell it on my local club board. Just irks me when a busines doesn't provide simple information when a potential customer asks for it.
 

· conjoinicorned
Joined
·
3,519 Posts
I may still end up ordering one and if I don't like it then I can sell it on my local club board
i think the FUbars are silly, simply because you NEED to use a longer stem to keep a similar hand position. apparently the FU2 bars have somewhat addressed this, but reviews are saying most people are switching out the stems anyways to feel comfortable...in fairness i have never tried the FU's.

the on-one Mary's have a simlar sweep (40') and similar rise (1.5"), without the need to change anything else in the cockpit...and the prices are almost the same.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
ferday said:
i think the FUbars are silly, simply because you NEED to use a longer stem to keep a similar hand position. apparently the FU2 bars have somewhat addressed this, but reviews are saying most people are switching out the stems anyways to feel comfortable...in fairness i have never tried the FU's.

the on-one Mary's have a simlar sweep (40') and similar rise (1.5"), without the need to change anything else in the cockpit...and the prices are almost the same.
I have 4 stems in different length to play around with....so that is not an issue. Plus, I have a new frame coming today or tomorrow so the entire cockpit will be under testing for a while.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I run the FU bars on a 29er. They can go on either right side up or upside down. Upside down is the ticket on a big wheel for speed and cornering control. Btw.......Peter at Misfit is great,but personally I prefer to deal with William. William and I tend to be on the same level.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top