Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about Niners, but this seems like a good deal?

9niner.jpg

"
Niner e.m.d. 9 medium frame
29" wheels w/ Maxxis/IRD tires ~2.1", set up as tubeless
Sram X9 1x10 drivetrain, 12-36 casette
Raceface crank w/ 32T chainring and bashguard
Sram Guide brakes with 180 rotors, new this spring
Rockshox Sid fork w/ lockout and adjustable damping
Thompson seatpost
Charge saddle
Truvativ stem
Spank bars"

It's nearby. I messaged the guy, and he said he just did the "50 hour service" on the RockShox SID fork. I'm 5' 6" with a 30" inseam... I've never had much luck with 29" wheels. Would a Med w/29ers probably be too big for me? I'd be mostly "trail" riding versus a lot of technical "mountain" biking.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,745 Posts
It's a good bike and I think the price is ok. I owned one set up very similar to that and it was a blast to ride.

Don't know what sort of trails you are riding, but unless you are really going hard-core cross country, I'd suggest a Honzo or sometime with a little more modern geometry would be a little more fun. There are really good reasons why mountain bike geometry changed from the old school steep head tube angles.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I would be riding it probably 75% city and/or smooth bike path; 25% "trails" with some flowy stuff, a few drop-offs here and there, etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Two things. At your height you may need to change out the set-back seat post to a straight zero degree and... you may need to throw on some flat bars. If you can demo it first for fit, pay attention to those two items. Otherwise a great find for the price. I still have my first 29" build, a 2010 Niner E.M.D (Eat My Dust) in Moondust. Yes, the Niner logo still glows in the dark.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I think that's a fair price.

I sold a EMD 9 with full Shimano XT 2x10, XT brakes, Niner carbon bar, and a Fox 32 for 700 last year.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, as we all know, it's definitely a seller's market right now. Seems like a decent price considering the current circumstances.

Assuming he has availability, I'll get over to see it today. I just am not sure about the 29" wheels, I never have cared for that wheel size. We'll see...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked it out and bought it.

I figured for the price and quality of the bike & components, even if I ultimately find I want something else, I shouldn't get burned bad. And in the meantime, I'M RIDING!

So in accordance with EMD philosophy.... EAT MY DUST!! :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First thing I noticed is how light this bike is compared to a newer Giant Talon 2 I recently had. It's set up tubeless with a Velocity wheelset (not sure of which specific model).

I weighed myself, and myself holding the bike several different times, and it indicated 24.8 pounds difference every time. That doesn't seem possible, but weighing the Giant the same way showed it just over 31# which matched what I had seen on the internet. So it seems like my scale must be fairly accurate.

I can't find anything other just frame weight on the 2012 EMD, but the low weight of the bike surprises me. I had a 2012 Stumpjumper 26" hardtail, and I believe it was in the 27 or so # range as I recall.

I took it on a light trail ride late yesterday through Garden of the Gods. Overall I think I'll be satisfied with this bike for awhile. I'm on the lookout for a Surly Karate Monkey rigid, and this will be fun until I find one of those. (that thing will probably feel like a tank after this bike)

·
Registered
163 Posts
First thing I noticed is how light this bike is compared to a newer Giant Talon 2 I recently had. It's set up tubeless with a Velocity wheelset (not sure of which specific model).

I weighed myself, and myself holding the bike several different times, and it indicated 24.8 pounds difference every time. That doesn't seem possible, but weighing the Giant the same way showed it just over 31# which matched what I had seen on the internet. So it seems like my scale must be fairly accurate.

I can't find anything other just frame weight on the 2012 EMD, but the low weight of the bike surprises me. I had a 2012 Stumpjumper 26" hardtail, and I believe it was in the 27 or so # range as I recall.

I took it on a light trail ride late yesterday through Garden of the Gods. Overall I think I'll be satisfied with this bike for awhile. I'm on the lookout for a Surly Karate Monkey rigid, and this will be fun until I find one of those. (that thing will probably feel like a tank after this bike)
Looks like a solid build; frame, fork, and wheelset are all light. My size large was 25.2# initially, so that sounds about right. The 7005 tube set is forgiving as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This bike is a featherweight blast! Very tossable even with the big ol wheels that roll over and up everything!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts