Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so my '07 paragon broke last week and it's at the LBS for warranty replacement.
I'm so over GF and their quality (whole 'nother story).

So I picked up a new EMD9 with the X9 build kit - Wow, what a bike. I was just hoping for a ride that was as good as the Paragon, and this bike surpasses the Paragon ride on every level.
Lateral stiffness is much better, no tire rub, bike feels quicker, powers through turns and up the climbs faster, and I just loved the ride. I was skeptical about the Niner flat bar as I've been using riser bars for the better part of 5 years, but I really like it (especially the 710mm length) being 6'5" tall this bar feels great when out of the saddle up the steeps. Not sure if the WTB laserdisc wheels are lighter than the Bontracer Race wheelset, but the bike felt significantly faster.

I'm now looking forward to getting the Paragon back so I can sell that frame and the Reba and get another EMD9 and set it up fully rigid with the components that are on the Paragon. Or maybe I'll wait until the AIR9s are available in XL.

At any rate - if you are looking for a new 29er, you can't go wrong with the Niner product!And don't forget the YAWYD headset cap - mine's sporting a Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale cap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Go ahead and get an air9 then, cause...

they are available in the XL size :D .

GMoney said:
Ok - so my '07 paragon broke last week and it's at the LBS for warranty replacement.
I'm so over GF and their quality (whole 'nother story).

So I picked up a new EMD9 with the X9 build kit - Wow, what a bike. I was just hoping for a ride that was as good as the Paragon, and this bike surpasses the Paragon ride on every level.
Lateral stiffness is much better, no tire rub, bike feels quicker, powers through turns and up the climbs faster, and I just loved the ride. I was skeptical about the Niner flat bar as I've been using riser bars for the better part of 5 years, but I really like it (especially the 710mm length) being 6'5" tall this bar feels great when out of the saddle up the steeps. Not sure if the WTB laserdisc wheels are lighter than the Bontracer Race wheelset, but the bike felt significantly faster.

I'm now looking forward to getting the Paragon back so I can sell that frame and the Reba and get another EMD9 and set it up fully rigid with the components that are on the Paragon. Or maybe I'll wait until the AIR9s are available in XL.

At any rate - if you are looking for a new 29er, you can't go wrong with the Niner product!And don't forget the YAWYD headset cap - mine's sporting a Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale cap.
 
G

·
does anyone not break the GF frames???

i was talking to a guy today at the trailhead and he was like "dude i am building a really nice GF 29er SS, i got the frame super cheap". i tried to be nice, but i wound up saying something along the lines of "i hope you like your frames in 2 pcs"
 

·
29er Geek
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
When I was riding a lot of cyclocross (what got me rolling on the 29er thing...bad pun I know...) I kept staring at a GF rig at the local shop...I'm 215 and not easy on my gear. About 2 weeks ago I'd finally had it, I was buying a 29er...looked at the GF for about a second and ended up buying a Rita instead...just built more for me. Really too bad that GF has been plagued like this considering all of the things they've done to get folks on 29ers.

RJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
mechmann_mtb said:
does anyone not break the GF frames???

i was talking to a guy today at the trailhead and he was like "dude i am building a really nice GF 29er SS, i got the frame super cheap". i tried to be nice, but i wound up saying something along the lines of "i hope you like your frames in 2 pcs"
I've owned 3 of them over the years. Never broke one ...and I'm a clyde. Just lucky I guess.
 

·
29er Geek
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
zyzbot said:
I've owned 3 of them over the years. Never broke one ...and I'm a clyde. Just lucky I guess.
Well it may be a matter of numbers. Look at how many bikes GF sells...now look at some others...I bet GFs numbers, percentage wise, are pretty close to average, if not below.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what's sad is how naive (or arrogant/don't care) the GF warranty reps are. The one my LBS deals with said it was the first case of an '07 he's heard break... and continued to add that I was near the weight limit for the bike... I was taken aback - an XL frame, who do they think they are for - not all of us are Ryan Trebon 170lbs and 6'8 or whatever... the bulk of people over the 6' range are over the 200lb mark. If you're going to make frames for us then make 'em last or don't make 'em at all I say...

Thanks for the advice on the AIR9 - I'm leaning that way - have a different horse in the stable so to speak...
I'll post pics tomorrow...
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top