Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering about the geometry of the new carbon fork. Will I be able to use this fork on my El Mariachi without screwing up the geometry? Does Niner plan on offering this fork in different geometries or just those to fit their bikes?

Also, what is the MSRP of this fork going to be?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, it'll work. 2mm shorter axle to crown, which means nothing, and 2mm difference in offset, which means a little bit more, but not a great deal.

$375USD. Expensive for a rigid fork, but it is nice.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has Niner started shipping these forks yet? Specifically the nude version.

Also, any riding experiences? I noticed after the initial buzz, there hasn't been much conversation. How do you like your Niner carbon fork?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I love mine on my AIR9. Posted some comments about it in the Niner forum. I've ridden it on 3 or 4 rides and raced it once. It handles great, deadens shock a bit more than the steel fork it replaced, and my bike is really light now!

Plus it looks amazing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
endure26 said:
I've had one on my Lynskey Pro29 for about a month. Purchased from in-stock inventory at Arizona Cyclist in Tucson in late-July.

Fork'in sweet.
endure26, can you post a picture of your setup? I am interested in the Lynskey Pro29 with the Niner fork.

Thanks!

·
Singleminded
38 Posts
Pics and ride impression

I've ridden my new Carbon Niner fork in Nude (the fork, not me) two times now. I really like it, but its my first rigid so I can't compare it to anything else. I'm riding it on a steel frame so the compliance is great. The front end takes the bumps alot more smoothly than expected. Note on geometry. If you are riding a steeper head tube angle, the larger offset of this fork (45mm) will reduce trail to the quicker side on steero meter. The steering on my bike (72 deg head angle) is a bit quicker than I expected. It's not bad, the bike is actually more maneuverable in the switch backs and when at speed, less steering input is required. Just takes a little getting used to.

Additionally, if you are going from a squishy fork to this fork, the steering feel will seem quicker because of the reduced weight on the front of the bike. I know that 2.5 lb reduction on the front doesn't sound like much, but I noticed it right away. Getting the front end over obstacles is effortless, but the bars are easier to move, along with the increased precision of the a rigid fork, it amounts to a more responsive front end.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the purchase. Climbing on a rigid is like nothing else. At the end of the ride, I feel like I've expended a lot less energy than on my front shock hard tail geared bike. Of course it helps to ride this on a frame that is perfectly sized for me :)

I plan on posting an actual product review after I get more time on the fork. The guys at Niner have done it again as far as I can tell. It would be great if they offered the fork in different offsets, but i know that will only happen in my dreams or when I become the sultan of my own country-island:)

Now for the pics:

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Spoke Bicycle part

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle fork

Floor Flooring Grey Bicycle accessory Bicycle part

1 - 18 of 18 Posts