Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a scandium One9 that I bought used a few months ago. I love the bike and dig riding singlespeed. It has a Niner carbon fork.

Anyway, when I bought the bike it came with a Hope headset. I decided to get a King, like I have on my other bikes, and brought it to my lbs for installation.

When we went to put the crown race on, it was not very tight. We finished the install, including facing the headtube, and when I went to ride it today, it was making all kinds of noise.

I brought it back for the lbs to take a look, and they believe the problem is that the steerer tube is slightly smaller in diameter than it should be. Apparently, Chris King will custom make an undersized crown race, so they told lbs to measure and it turns out the diameter of the fork's steerer is 2/10 mm under what it should be.

I am curious if anyone else has run into this problem? There was no problem with the Hope headset, btw...

SPP

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and King's crown race should be so precise!

Still waiting on the one my lbs ordered that is 2/10 mm undersized.

Should be here next week ... will install and hopefully solve the problem, or next step will be to give Niner a call.

SPP

·
Registered
496 Posts
and King's crown race should be so precise!

Still waiting on the one my lbs ordered that is 2/10 mm undersized.

Should be here next week ... will install and hopefully solve the problem, or next step will be to give Niner a call.

SPP
Sounds like you have it sorted.

The usual complaint is the opposite. A tight fit of the CK top cap on the steerer tube. I have fitted CK crown races to a few Niner carbon forks now and never had your problem. Its weird that the Hope crown race was not loose.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you have it sorted.

The usual complaint is the opposite. A tight fit of the CK top cap on the steerer tube. I have fitted CK crown races to a few Niner carbon forks now and never had your problem. Its weird that the Hope crown race was not loose.
LBS thinks that because the Hope race is "split" it somehow settles in and works with no movement and creaking.

SPP

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the undersized crown race installed and a quick ride in the parking lot says the problem is solved Tomorrow I will try it out on the local singletrack, but I think it is good to go...

SPP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts