Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
weight of Carbon AIR9

davesauvageau said:
This bike is amazing. Does anyone know the estimated weight of the complete shown? Also, what are everyone's comments about the bike?

The Bike in the picture is a prototype, and weights around 18.75lbs as pictured without pedal. This is a Prototype/ show bike and it does have tubes in the tires. The production model is targeted around the same weight.

The Carbon AIR9 has the CYA bottom bracket design, so it can be run as a single speed, or with BB30, BB90, or standard outboard bearing. The front and the rear dérailleur cable are internally run, to give it a clean look.

Check out our website for more info: http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=271

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Mike,
Beautiful bike. If you have four separate carbon fiber frame molds for that bike to lay up four dedicated frame sizes, why on earth did you spec the frame of the bike for XL with a seat tube angle of 73 degrees? Most XL rides including me have long femurs and 73 degrees for a long legged rider puts the rider too forward of the BB without an extreme setback seatpost. Only a guess on my part is your molds share the same rear triangle geometry. But unless your tooling is interchangable, I don't understand why you wouldn't revise the seat tube angle for the XL in particular.
Thanks for any comments.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
As much of a fan of GF and their Superfly's, If I ever decide to pony up big $ for a dedicated rigid bike, this will be it. The frame/fork combo and looks of the bike would be too much for me to pass up.

G

·
Registered
281 Posts
That's such a cool machine. And there's something about it that just looks so much more solid than other crabon bikes

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
dirtrider7 said:
Mike,
Beautiful bike. If you have four separate carbon fiber frame molds for that bike to lay up four dedicated frame sizes, why on earth did you spec the frame of the bike for XL with a seat tube angle of 73 degrees? Most XL rides including me have long femurs and 73 degrees for a long legged rider puts the rider too forward of the BB without an extreme setback seatpost. Only a guess on my part is your molds share the same rear triangle geometry. But unless your tooling is interchangable, I don't understand why you wouldn't revise the seat tube angle for the XL in particular.
Thanks for any comments.
They use the same STA on all their other XL hardtails and they still seen to be quite popular

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
My Build!

I've got mine on order and I've revised my build list too many times to remember but here's how it looks as of now, things may change before I get it in June.

air 9 carbon frame................1292g
niner carbon fork................... 550g
fsa internal headset w/ carbon cap and alu bolt..............75g
monkeylite bar 31.6...............165g
kcnc ti pro post.....................175g
fsa 99 stem..........................104g
carbon edge saddle...............112g
titec grips...............................18g
sweetwings cranks & bb.........600g
salsa 22t ring.........................25g
fsa bolts.................................8g
chris king 12t cog...................15g
kmc x9sl chain.......................200g
crank bros 4 ti pedals.............167g
formula r1 brakes....................354g
scrub rotors............................116g
ti rotor bolts.............................12g
stans 29er race wheels w/o yellow tape of valves.............1326g
rox rim tape............................6g
forte lunar light tubes...............190g
furious fred tires.......................670g
control tech ti and scandium skewers...............26g

total...6206g = 13.68lbs...........give or take a few tenths, we'll see. I'll post an entire build thread when the frame comes in.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
G-Live said:
As much of a fan of GF and their Superfly's, If I ever decide to pony up big $ for a dedicated rigid bike, this will be it. The frame/fork combo and looks of the bike would be too much for me to pass up.

G
You can get the same amount of pain for a lot less $$$$. Just pick up a Karate Monkey with the rigid KM fork and teach your kidney's, lower back, neck, arms and innards a serious lesson.:p Sure, it'll weigh about 3-4 pounds more, but there's no need to spend over $2K on a carbon frame and matching fork to find out your innards and core need a big ole multi-day rest after a rough ride. :nono:

Just get the poster of the orange and black Air 9 Carbon and fork and hang it on your wall.:D

BB

P.S. Of course, if you'd be willing to run a suspension fork on that carbon frame I would understand....:D

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
mattkock said:
I've got mine on order and I've revised my build list too many times to remember but here's how it looks as of now, things may change before I get it in June.

air 9 carbon frame................1292g
niner carbon fork................... 550g
fsa internal headset w/ carbon cap and alu bolt..............75g
monkeylite bar 31.6...............165g
kcnc ti pro post.....................175g
fsa 99 stem..........................104g
carbon edge saddle...............112g
titec grips...............................18g
sweetwings cranks & bb.........600g
salsa 22t ring.........................25g
fsa bolts.................................8g
chris king 12t cog...................15g
kmc x9sl chain.......................200g
crank bros 4 ti pedals.............167g
formula r1 brakes....................354g
scrub rotors............................116g
ti rotor bolts.............................12g
stans 29er race wheels w/o yellow tape of valves.............1326g
rox rim tape............................6g
forte lunar light tubes...............190g
furious fred tires.......................670g
control tech ti and scandium skewers...............26g

total...6206g = 13.68lbs...........give or take a few tenths, we'll see. I'll post an entire build thread when the frame comes in.
Sounds perfect for a road ride....:cool:

I'd ditch the Scrubs and the Freds immediately before you hit the "buy now" button.

BB

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
I have scrubs and Freds on my 26er and they're working just fine so I'll keep 'em but thanks.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
mattkock said:
I have scrubs and Freds on my 26er and they're working just fine so I'll keep 'em but thanks.
Scrubs are fine if you live and race in the desert, but for those of us who live where it rains so that mud and water are a part of the race scene - I would rate them suspect for longevity and from a price to performance ratio. I don't know, maybe you live in dry climate...

Freds in 26? Sure, they come in 2.25 and 2.4 in that size. If you have ever ridden a 29"er rigid, a low volume race tire may prove to not be very friendly for you. The volume is quite iddy biddy in the 29"er version with the measurement being a 1.8 (45-46mm). Hey, at least it will make your bike look like a 26"er.:thumbsup:

Menzo had the "best" review of them last summer....

I'm riding the Schwalbe Furious Fred 29x2.0 for two weeks

319 grams and 354 grams

Real size is not 2.0 but rather 1.8. They are no bigger than my Bontrager Jones XR 1.8.

HELLA fast on hardpack, gravel, road, roots and grass. Avoid rocks or any terrain that can cause pinch flat because they are thin like road tires (actually I'd call them "high volume road tires with small knobs". Acceleration is INSANE compare to any other tires Rolling resistance is.... well it's like there is none . Increased my cruising speed by 3 mph.

Need more speed. GET THEM !!!!

Oilcan's review was less promising...

furious freds 334g and 345g

took them out on rocky, shale and roots trail they held up fine. traction was a problem at higher psi, hitting the rim was a problem at lower psi. they are very narrow and work fastest on grassy surfaces at med high psi or very high psi on the street. otherwise save your money.

I'd be willing to give one a go on the rear, but not on a rigid bike.

I've got the Bontrager XR 1.8's and know what a small volume tire feels like. When there are such great 29"er race tires that are light and available with more volume, I guess I don't see the benefits of the Fred. Maxxis Aspen, Raven 2.2, Crow 2.0, Karma 1.9, Ralph 2.25, etc... . Wouldn't your speed actually benefit with a higher volume fast and light (and more durable) race tire on the rigid 29"er - even if it is 90-100g more than a Fred?

I'm just saying. Nice for the weight weenie build, but out on the trail I don't think it will perform as well on a rigid as some other 29"er race tires. But I guess it depends on the race course. It's all in the engine anyway.

BB

·
Registered
760 Posts
boomn said:
They use the same STA on all their other XL hardtails and they still seen to be quite popular
Maybe among 6'3" guys with 32" inseam or guys that don't know any better.
I can't or don't want to ride it. You will be in front of KOPS with a 34-36" inseam on a 73 deg. sta which is the statistical norm of a XL size rider.
Making a bike with all the same seat tube angle/rear triangle for all frame sizes the same to me smacks of cost cutting to conserve molding geometry.

·
NMBP
1,158 Posts
dirtrider7 said:
Maybe among 6'3" guys with 32" inseam or guys that don't know any better.
I can't or don't want to ride it. You will be in front of KOPS with a 34-36" inseam on a 73 deg. sta which is the statistical norm of a XL size rider.
Making a bike with all the same seat tube angle/rear triangle for all frame sizes the same to me smacks of cost cutting to conserve molding geometry.
My inseam is 38.75", and I am a hair under 6'6". I own two XL Niners (RIP and Sir), and used to have an XL Jet, all seam(ed) to work well for me with no setback posts or slammed rails. YMMV of course. Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is my Pro Review.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
dirtrider7 said:
Well, then you've got to rag on Salsa, Surly, Lenz, Ventana, Specialized, etc... as well since they all do the dirty deed.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
BruceBrown said:
You can get the same amount of pain for a lot less $$$$. Just pick up a Karate Monkey with the rigid KM fork and teach your kidney's, lower back, neck, arms and innards a serious lesson.:p Sure, it'll weigh about 3-4 pounds more, but there's no need to spend over $2K on a carbon frame and matching fork to find out your innards and core need a big ole multi-day rest after a rough ride. :nono:

Just get the poster of the orange and black Air 9 Carbon and fork and hang it on your wall.:D

BB

P.S. Of course, if you'd be willing to run a suspension fork on that carbon frame I would understand....:D
oh, i'd never pull that big of a tri$$er on a rigid bike. (I do have a zion ss rigid I got for $125 frame/fork). But if $$ was no object and I wanted one this would be it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
gfs69 said:
My inseam is 38.75", and I am a hair under 6'6". I own two XL Niners (RIP and Sir), and used to have an XL Jet, all seam(ed) to work well for me with no setback posts or slammed rails. YMMV of course. Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is my Pro Review.
You must ride it like a time trial bike with your femur length. :) If you ever get a chance, find a bike with a 70-71 deg sta with your monster length legs and you will then know what its like to have much less weight on your hands and be more comfortable. With almost a 39" inseam if ever there was a need for a custom, you are a good candidate as you are 99% in size with your leg length and pedestrian torso length. A guy 7' tall can ride a size medium frame as well but doesn't mean its the best fit is the point. Not debating how good Niner bikes are but honestly, Gary Fisher gets it right even if you don't agree with what is in front of the BB on his bikes. A XL should have a 72.0 degree seat tube angle IMO and when bikes don't the decision is many times cost driven.

·
NMBP
1,158 Posts
dirtrider7 said:
You must ride it like a time trial bike with your femur length. :) If you ever get a chance, find a bike with a 70-71 deg sta with your monster length legs and you will then know what its like to have much less weight on your hands and be more comfortable. With almost a 39" inseam if ever there was a need for a custom, you are a good candidate as you are 99% in size with your leg length and pedestrian torso length. A guy 7' tall can ride a size medium frame as well but doesn't mean its the best fit is the point.
Honestly, the reach for me is great, but I wouldn't mind a few more cm's of head tube! My custom roadie has a 270mm head tube. Yep, freak bike. :thumbsup: Oh, and I did have a custom with a really long TT, 26.5", and I much prefer a less stretched out position. But hey, that's me. Look, two Pro Reviews in one day.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts