Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I have a XT external bearing crankset (FC-M760). Can I run this (with all three rings) with the Niner Bio-Centric EBB? The reason I ask is that I plan on running the frame geared...but would like to be change to single speed easily out on the trail in case the rear derailleur fails.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks, Matt

·
holy schfincter..
159 Posts
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for the headaches of the EBB if you don't need to. Personally i would use the insert for the geared option and just bring a chain tool and multitool. I wouldn't bother with the EBB unless you want to ride singlespeed permanently. My 2c.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would vote for running with the geared kit (CYA inserts instead of the EBB) too. If you are concerned about RD breaking and having to get home, carry a cheap tensioner with you. Something like the tensioner from this http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031512_-1___ it isn't very heavy. You will need a chain tool in either case.

I have an a9c with both the geared kit and a EBB, although I have only run it SS with the EBB so far. Both the CYA and EBB create 73mm bb shells and from looking at them they appear to run the same chainline (not sure why they wouldn't). So from a chainline standpoint it would work. But here are a few possible issues with running the EBB geared. The frame is designed for the front derailluer to line up with the cranks centered (CYA). You might be able to run the EBB at the "bottom" in the same line as ST through the centered position, but not sure. The second thing is there is a cable guide that goes *in* the BB shell for the internally routed cables. It seems very likely it will interfere with the EBB and crank spindle for some part of the EBB rotation, not sure how much of the rotation.

Anyway to me it seems like too much of a PITA to use the EBB geared for your case. Tensioner would work just as well and the geared setup would be perfectly setup for your normal case.

HTH

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just my opinion... but that seems like alot of work "on the trail" I have an A9C and i kinda had the same idea (switching back and forth) Ive only ran SS tho for now. I actually emailed niner and they said that EBB will NOT work with gears. Just take a multi-tool, or maybe even just get a spare derailleur to take with ya. Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.