Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think it awesome that you guys are coming on here and communicating with owners now. I have paid attention when other companies have talked with riders. I think it pays dividends with brand loyalty.

Just don’t spend too much time on here. You have a WFO to design.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have ridden a few 36er's. They do climb over anything. I think it is still a very small niche better left to the custom builders.

Peace,
Chris Sugai
I'm not advocating for a 36er. I agree it's a very small market and probably isn't profitable. But.....weren't 29ers a niche market and only being built by custom frame builders when you started Niner?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Fiveo - that is true "weren’t 29ers a niche market" but we saw the potential for it (29) being a better overall wheel size over 26" in many conditions and from XC to DH. I don't see the same widespread improvements with 36" over 29".

Remember Niner already tried 29+ (with the ROS 9+ back in 2015) and we found limited success. I don't see how going even bigger is going to find better results.

Peace,
Chris Sugai

·
I live to bike
2,451 Posts
Fiveo - that is true "weren't 29ers a niche market" but we saw the potential for it (29) being a better overall wheel size over 26" in many conditions and from XC to DH. I don't see the same widespread improvements with 36" over 29".

Remember Niner already tried 29+ (with the ROS 9+ back in 2015) and we found limited success. I don't see how going even bigger is going to find better results.

Peace,
Chris Sugai
Yeah, 29+ is big enough. Perfect, imo. I love my ROS9+!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, of course from a financial standpoint of view one cannot order a batch of hundreds of forks and frames to be built and sold with a sensible revenue&profit. Investment in such a new wheel size could be done only by well-off companies, together to say the least. Let's say Fox partnering with several main stream frame developers and tyre & wheels manufacturers with after market parts. With 29ers it was step by step in 2001 with Gary Fisher and it took almost twenty years to get them right, to get them 29er specific parts, gear ratios etc. All this would have to be done at once with many companies in "complot" to bring it all and done right in one year instead of twenty. We are not turtles or whales, who can wait for dozens of years.

As for 29+ it is what it begins to be shown with 27,5+ - tyres over 3" tend to be too bouncy to provide a reasonable ride over light AM and XC terrain. People, when faced with a choice 27,5"x 3,25" would rather use a 29x2,6" on the same frame on longer rides and consequently 27,5+ begins too shrink like 27,5", which were invented when 29ers were still improperly designed. It is generalization to be sure and one can find many examples to contradict this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.