Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone truly know what is going on at this festival? It is an invite for SORBA members only. I'm going to be going but have never ridden around the area. I'm a singlespeeder and was wondering what the trails are like? Also what gearing is appropriate for there? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I usually run a 34x19 or a 34x20 where I'm from so that should be good. Thanks for the tip. Sounds like there should be a lot of good riding over there. Is it a lot of singletrack climbing or dirt roads? I was told that it would be to tough to singlespeed. But then again it was from someone who does not ride a single.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
King Kahuna Singled out? Alloy Nipples

I just looked at your bio and saw that you run a king kahuna single speed. I run a hei hei singled out. What is your set up? Are you running an eno?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Check Link below......

Scooby-doo said:
Does anyone truly know what is going on at this festival? It is an invite for SORBA members only. I'm going to be going but have never ridden around the area. I'm a singlespeeder and was wondering what the trails are like? Also what gearing is appropriate for there? Thanks
http://www.sorba.org/Content/ContentCT.asp?P=77 You might contact Walt Bready via e/m, and his adress is on the link. If you can do the "Bull-Jake" combo on singlespeed, I want to be there to say I saw a true "Lance equivalent"! :cool: The forest service roads, namely FS 28 and FS 77, can give you many tough miles of climbs. There is many combinations of trails in the area, and literally something for everyone. You might contact the organizers to see what they might invison for SS'ers. On-line registration has closed, but you should be able to register on-site.
 

·
It's not what you think.
Joined
·
477 Posts
No ENO yet...

Scooby-doo said:
I usually run a 34x19 or a 34x20 where I'm from so that should be good. Thanks for the tip. Sounds like there should be a lot of good riding over there. Is it a lot of singletrack climbing or dirt roads? I was told that it would be to tough to singlespeed. But then again it was from someone who does not ride a single.
I was all ready to order an ENO/wheel from Mean Todd but my buddy from Cali called and convinces me that I need to come out for a long weekend of riding the trails in Kernville.
So, airline ticket = cost of ENO. I'll get one soon but for now a singlator will do.

I love the bike, I've wanted one for a long time and when it came time to get a new SS I found this frame and had to have it. It's stiff at the BB and compliant everywhere else. Plus, as korny as it sounds, the bike is telepathic...knows where to go.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, Bull/Jake is 100% singlespeedable. Those that say you can't, don't. Although, you'll be looking for the beer cooler when you're done.

99' KKK
King HS
Thomson Stem/Post/SDG Saddle
Monkey Lite risers
XTR Vee's and Ti Avid levers
AC Cranks / Blackspire 34 / King 19 / PC58
959's
Mavic ceramic 517's, Machine Tech Beer Keg Front (circa 1992, smoove as butter), Hugi Rear
IRC Trailbear 2.25's
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

Thanks for the posts. That King Kahuna is a sexy bike. If I had a camera to take a picture and post I would show off my steed as well. Sounds like a lot of pain involved but there always is. I've done the cream puff and other endurance races so I hope I will be fine. I've already signed on for it. I'm coming from washington so that is why I'm checking on the conditions. Thanks
 

·
It's not what you think.
Joined
·
477 Posts
Scooby-doo said:
I'm coming from washington so that is why I'm checking on the conditions. Thanks
Are you comming here just for the festival? Gonna be here longer than just the weekend? Let's us know how it works out for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be there from the 19th to the 25th.

I will be looking to ride friday during the day if anyone is interested. I will also be wanting to ride that following monday anytime and tuesday in the evening. I will be in the Atlanta area so if anyone can ride around that time I would love to ride at any of those times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Apologize for SS assumptions.....

Scooby-doo said:
Thanks for the posts. That King Kahuna is a sexy bike. If I had a camera to take a picture and post I would show off my steed as well. Sounds like a lot of pain involved but there always is. I've done the cream puff and other endurance races so I hope I will be fine. I've already signed on for it. I'm coming from washington so that is why I'm checking on the conditions. Thanks
The last SS I was on was a Schwinn in 1950. I actually may be using more SS than I realize....its called "little ring - big cog" ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back.

Thanks for the heads up on gearing. 34x19 was perfect. I was the only singlespeeder out of 97 riders that were there. Climbed to the highest point in the adventure race no problem. Great area for riding and singlespeeding. All in all it was a great weekend and SORBA did a great job. I believe everyone there was very happy with the way the event went. A lot of schwag was donated from local bike shops. It was good to see. We need to get more singlespeeders out there though.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top