Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took these shots last night, (Highdell's post was the inspiration) and as you can see very odd results,

First pic was with Flash, and I got all these crazy globes..
IMG_0152

and then without Flash, very close the actual riding conditions using my bike lights..

IMG_0155

So the question is, any idea's why I'm getting the globes?

The Camera is a Canon Elph 300HS, and the lens is clean.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was it raining? Foggy? Misty? Dusty? It looks like something reflected the flash and was picked up by your camera...
No rain, bone dry actually. And it was warm 80+ (F). I thought dust too, but I didn't see any in the beam of my lights in the pic or with my eyes.

Wondering if it's refraction within the lens?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I doubt it would be the lens. The use of filters can cause flaring but this is different. My guess is that there is dust in the air or a slight amount of humidity. Something is causing those globes to appear and they look to be out a ways form your lens.

Perhaps you could try repeating the shots and note the environmental conditions.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Dust/pollen. Your flash is not as focused and your lamp is and the positions are very different.

An on-camera flash illuminates stuff smack in the front of the camera even a few inches away; it is right in the bounce angle and the light heads directly back onto the lens.Note that the particles ae so close you lens cannot resolve them.

As your lamp is much lower and focused the nearest things illuninated are below and well in front of you several feet. Your camera cannot resolve dust at that distance. The stuff in front of the lens is not illuniminated.

In addition your lamp does not illuminate the immediate forground as does the strobe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.